DAVIS CUP WORLD GROUP SEMI-FINALS 2012
Berdych Propels Czechs Into Final Versus Spain
by ATP Staff|
ARGENTINA 2, CZECH REPUBLIC 3
Parque Roca, Buenos Aires, Argentina (clay – outdoor)
The Czech Republic set up a home Davis Cup by BNP Paribas final tie versus defending champion Spain from 16-18 November. It will be a repeat of the 2009 final.
Tomas Berdych won the Czech Republic the tie-winning point versus Argentina on Sunday after he defeated Carlos Berlocq 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 in two hours and 45 minutes at Buenos Aires. Berlocq replaced Juan Martin del Potro, who withdrew prior to the rubber due to a wrist injury.
“We made it and that's the goal which we brought in here to Argentina, to try to make the almost impossible and win here,” Berdych said. “The whole team had belief that we could make it. It’s not impossible to win in Argentina as we proved.
“That’s even better to win with such a crazy crowd. It probably gives us so much for the future and I’m really excited to be in the final again.”
Monaco claimed a second point for Argentina with a 6-3, 7-6(2) win over Ivo Minar in the dead rubber.
Argentina had been looking to reach its fifth Davis Cup final.
- Berdych Rings NYSE Opening Bell To Kick-Off US Open Build-Up
- Berdych Opens TSX; Federer Plays Hockey
- Raonic Edges Hewitt in Washington; Johnson Saves 2 MPs To Beat Karlovic
- Top Seed Berdych Claims Opener in Washington; Isner Falls To Johnson
- Berdych, Nishikori Watch Manchester United In Washington
- Tennis Meets Manchester United In Washington D.C.