MALAYSIAN OPEN, KUALA LUMPUR 2012
Yani Beats Baker; Sijsling, Wang Advance
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
by ATP Staff|
In an all-American first-round clash on Monday at the Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur, qualifier Michael Yani defeated Brian Baker 6-3, 7-6(4) in one hour and 42 minutes. The No. 238-ranked Yani recorded his first tour-level win of the season, and just the fourth of his career, as he converted three of his 10 break point chances.
Baker, currently a career-high World No. 60 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, was playing his first match since a second-round exit at the US Open (l. to Tipsarevic). He dropped to a 10-9 match record in 2012.
Igor Sijsling beat wild card Ariez Elyaas Deen Heshaam 6-2, 6-1 in 51 minutes. It was the Dutchman’s fifth tour-level match win of the season, highlighted by a quarter-final exit at the UNICEF Open in ‘s-Hertogenbosch (l. to Ferrer).
- Monaco Wins Epic Over Benneteau For Fourth ATP World Tour Title Of Year
- Peya/Soares Fight Back To Lift Kuala Lumpur Trophy
- Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur Sunday Preview
- Lu/Udomchoke Edge Into Bangkok Final
- Benneteau Stuns Ferrer For Final Berth; Monaco Saves 1 M.P. In Nishikori Battle
- Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur Saturday Preview