DAVIS CUP WORLD GROUP FIRST ROUND 2013
Spain Faces Canada In 2013 Davis Cup World Group First Round
by ATP Staff|
Five-time champion Spain has been drawn to face Canada in the 2013 Davis Cup by BNP Paribas World Group first round from 1-3 February. The two nations are set to meet for the first time since 1991.
"Canada was one of the strongest opponents we could have drawn, not only for the quality of the team led by Milos Raonic, but also for the fact that we are the away team and only a week after the Australian Open," Spain's captain Alex Corretja told the Spanish Tennis Federation website.
"That means another long journey and all the effects of the change in time zone. It will be a tough tie but the important thing right now is to focus on the final we have to play in two months against Czech Republic.”
The Czech Republic hosts Spain in this year's final from November 16-18. The Czechs begins next year's campaign away from home against Switzerland.
The United States, the 32-time champion, play Brazil at home, while Argentina takes on Germany. Arnaud Clement's first tie as France’s Davis Cup captain will be at home to Israel. Kazakhstan welcomes Austria, while Italy hosts Croatia.
Davis Cup by BNP Paribas 2013 World Group
First Round – 1-3 February 2013
Canada vs Spain
Italy vs Croatia
Belgium vs Serbia
United States of America vs Brazil
France vs Israel
Argentina vs Germany
Kazakhstan vs Austria
Switzerland vs Czech Republic
- Federer To Join Wawrinka In Davis Cup Quarters
- Fognini Leads Italian Triumph; Murray Sends Britain To QFs
- Berdych Leads Czechs Into Davis Cup QFs; Nishikori, Golubev Star
- Germany Meets France In Davis Cup QFs; U.S. Stays Alive
- Switzerland Triumphs; Czech Republic, Japan, Kazakhstan On The Brink
- Great Britain, France And Germany Sprint To Early Leads After Day One