ATP WORLD TOUR 2012 - WEEK 40
Paes/Stepanek Oust Murrays In QFs
by ATP Staff|
Top seeds Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek advanced to the semi-finals of the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships on Friday in Tokyo as they defeated defending champions Andy Murray and Jamie Murray 6-4, 3-6, 10-2.
The Australian Open champions are bidding to win their third tour-level title of the season, having also triumphed at the Sony Open Tennis in Miami (d. Mirnyi/Nestor). They are playing their first tournament together since finishing runners-up at the US Open (l. to Bryans).
Fourth seeds and last week’s Kuala Lumpur champions Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares also needed a Match Tie-break to reach the semi-finals, edging Jeremy Chardy and Marcelo Melo 6-7(4), 6-3, 10-8 in one hour and 42 minutes.
At the China Open in Beijing, British duo Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins continued their good run as they ousted third seeds Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau 6-7(3), 6-2, 10-5 in one hour and 40 minutes in the quarter-finals. Fleming and Hutchins are coming off a runner-up showing at the Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur.
For a place against Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan in the final, Fleming/Hutchins will face Carlos Berlocq and Denis Istomin, who continued their giant-killing run with a 6-2, 7-6(6) victory over Indians Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna. The Argentine/Uzbekistani duo had ousted second seeds Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor in the first round.
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown