SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS 2012
Berdych, Tsonga Press London Claims
by ATP Staff|
Tomas Berdych and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga both boosted their chances of qualifying for the eight-man Barclays ATP World Tour Finals with third-round wins at the Shanghai Rolex Masters Thursday. But Serb Janko Tipsarevic, who is ninth in the Race To London, suffered a costly loss.
In advancing to the Shanghai quarter-finals for the first time with a 6-2, 6-7(3), 6-4 win over American Sam Querrey, sixth-placed Berdych moved to 3,900 points, 1,090 points clear of Tipsarevic, who was beaten 6-2, 6-1 by German veteran Tommy Haas.
Tsonga strengthened his grip on the all-important eighth position in the Race To London with a 6-2, 7-6(2) win over Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis. The runner-up at last year’s season finale, Tsonga now has 3,295 points, 485 points more than Tipsarevic.
There was mixed news for players with an outside chance of qualifying for London. Croat Marin Cilic (15th), moved to 2,150 points after reaching the quarter-finals with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 win over Fernando Verdasco. But American John Isner (14th) missed his chance to push his claim with a three-set loss to Czech Radek Stepanek. Stanislas Wawrinka (16th) let slip a one-set lead against Roger Federer to bow out in the third round.
See Updated South African Airways ATP Rankings Race To London Standings
- Berdych: "It's Not About Miracles"
- Berdych Announces New Coaching Team For 2015
- Djokovic, Federer, Nishikori, Raonic Lead Storylines As 2014 Year-End Emirates ATP Rankings Are Published
- Berdych Beats Cilic, Plays Djokovic Friday
- Brain Game: Confident Wawrinka Sees Berdych Misfire
- Devastating Wawrinka Cruises Past Berdych In Group A