SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS 2012
Federer, Djokovic To Battle For World No. 1 In Shanghai
by ATP Staff|
“That’s the target,” the 25-year-old Serbian said following his Beijing triumph. “This will definitely help me in that race, but it’s still quite open. There are still tournaments to come, big ones. Shanghai, obviously the first [ATP World Tour Masters] 1000 event that is next week… I want to try to get as far as I can in the tournament, obviously taking one match at a time as I always do.”
Federer can guarantee his place atop the South African Airways ATP Rankings by minimally reaching the Shanghai quarter-finals. Anything less, and Djokovic would overtake the Swiss by winning the Shanghai crown.
Federer begins his 299th week as the World No. 1, having usurped Djokovic at the top of the leaderboard after winning his 17th Grand Slam title at Wimbledon.
“I hope I will finish World No. 1 at the end of the year,” said the 31-year-old Swiss. “For me it’s about trying to play well here in Shanghai and go from there.”
Federer reached the Shanghai final in his previous visit two years ago (l. to Murray), while Djokovic is a two-time tournament semi-finalist.
- Watch Djokovic Spark Comeback Vs. Nadal In 2011 Miami Final
- Novak's Early Claim For Year-End No. 1 In Emirates ATP Rankings
- Brain Game: Djokovic Serves Up Clever Tactics For Victory
- Djokovic's Desert Dream: How The Indian Wells Final Was Won
- Match Vs Federer Is "The Ultimate Final" Says Djokovic
- Federer Sets Djokovic Final In Indian Wells