SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS 2012
Federer, Djokovic To Battle For World No. 1 In Shanghai
by ATP Staff|
“That’s the target,” the 25-year-old Serbian said following his Beijing triumph. “This will definitely help me in that race, but it’s still quite open. There are still tournaments to come, big ones. Shanghai, obviously the first [ATP World Tour Masters] 1000 event that is next week… I want to try to get as far as I can in the tournament, obviously taking one match at a time as I always do.”
Federer can guarantee his place atop the South African Airways ATP Rankings by minimally reaching the Shanghai quarter-finals. Anything less, and Djokovic would overtake the Swiss by winning the Shanghai crown.
Federer begins his 299th week as the World No. 1, having usurped Djokovic at the top of the leaderboard after winning his 17th Grand Slam title at Wimbledon.
“I hope I will finish World No. 1 at the end of the year,” said the 31-year-old Swiss. “For me it’s about trying to play well here in Shanghai and go from there.”
Federer reached the Shanghai final in his previous visit two years ago (l. to Murray), while Djokovic is a two-time tournament semi-finalist.
- Fan Wins Special Federer Meeting In Dubai
- Federer Wins Seventh Dubai Crown
- Watch Dubai Hot Shot: Federer Pulverises Backhand Winner
- Brain Game: Federer Rides Hyper-Aggressive Game Plan To Victory
- Federer Surpasses 9,000 Aces Mark, Re-live Matches With Most Aces
- Djokovic Lauds Federer's Tenacity In Defeat