MEDIA NOTES 2012
Shanghai Tournament Preview
by Greg Sharko|
SHANGHAI PREVIEW - FEDERER, DJOKOVIC, MURRAY HEADLINE FIELD
• The eighth ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament of the year offers crucial points in the Race for London, and 10 seeds in the draw are among the Top 16 points standings. They are in contention for the four remaining berths at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, which will be held Nov. 5-12. Overall there are 17 of the Top 20 in the 56-player draw.
• World No. 1 Roger Federer leads the field at the Shanghai Rolex Masters as he brings in a 61-8 match record and six titles on the season. The 31-year-old Swiss superstar will be in his 299th week at No. 1 (as of Oct. 8). Federer will face the winner of a qualifier and Chinese No. 1 Ze Zhang who is coming off a quarter-final in Beijing. Federer could meet countryman and No. 13 seed Stanislas Wawrinka in the third round. In the quarter-finals, Federer could play No. 7 seed Juan Monaco or No. 10 Marin Cilic. Former World No. 7 Fernando Verdasco (vs. Soeda) could play Monaco in round two.
• In the second quarter of the draw, third seed and two-time defending champion Andy Murray, who won his first Grand Slam crown last month at the US Open (d. Djokovic in five sets), takes on the winner of Aussie teenager Bernard Tomic and Florian Mayer, a quarter-finalist here last year. In the third round, Murray could face No. 15 seed Gilles Simon, who opens with Jurgen Melzer. In the quarter-finals, No. 8 seed/top American John Isner or No. 11 seed Richard Gasquet are possible opponents. Former No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt plays Radek Stepanek in the first round with the winner to meet Gasquet or a qualifier.
• In the third quarter of the draw, No. 4 seed Tomas Berdych leads the way and he could meet No. 14 seed and Tokyo finalist Kei Nishikori in the third round. The Japanese star defeated Berdych in Tokyo for the third time in four meetings. In the quarter-finals, Berdych could have a showdown with No. 5 seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who is in the Beijing final (vs. Djokovic). Tsonga’s first seeded opponent would be No. 12 Milos Raonic, who is in the Tokyo final. The Canadian opens against a qualifier.
• In the final quarter, World No. 2 Novak Djokovic, who is in the Beijing final, opens against the winner of Pablo Andujar and Grigor Dimitrov. The first seed Djokovic could face is No. 16 and top German Philipp Kohlschreiber, who plays American Ryan Harrison in the opener. Djokovic’s possible quarter-finals opponents are No. 6 Janko Tipsarevic and No. 9 Nicolas Almagro. Almagro has a tough opener against former World No. 2 Tommy Haas. Tipsarevic plays the winner of countryman Viktor Troicki and Mikhail Youzhny. Former World No. 5 Tommy Robredo takes on a qualifier with the winner to meet Haas or Almagro.
• The top eight seeded teams receive a bye into the second round. An outstanding field is led by top seeds and World No. 1 Bob and Mike Bryan, who have won six titles this year and are in Beijing final.
• The Bryans are the winningest team in the Open Era with 81 titles together. They won a record-tying 12th Grand Slam crown at the US Open.
• The No. 2 seeds are reigning champs Max Mirnyi and Daniel Nestor, who defending their Roland Garros title followed by No. 3 Robert Lindstedt and Horia Tecau, finalists at Wimbledon.
• The other seeds are No. 4 Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek, who captured the Australian Open title and qualified for the Finals in London, No. 5 Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski, No. 6 Aisam Ul Haq Qureshi and Jean-Julien Rojer, No. 7 Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna and No. 8 Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares, who are in the Tokyo final.
• There are 1000 South African Airways ATP Rankings points available to the winning team and four positions are remaining for the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London.
SUNDAY FIRST ROUND FEDEX ATP HEAD 2 HEADS – In Order of Play
F: Acapulco (l Ferrer); SF(3): Auckland (l Ferrer); Barcelona (l Nadal); Umag (l Granollers); QF(3): Sao Paulo (l Ramos); ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Madrid (l Berdych); Bangkok (l Tipsarevic)
YTD W-L: 29-19
YTD Titles: 0
Career Titles: 5
Date of Birth: November 15, 1983
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 23
SF(2): Chennai (l Tipsarevic); Atlanta (l Muller)
YTD W-L: 12-18
YTD Titles: 0
Career Titles: 0
Date of Birth: September 5, 1984
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 55
W: Munich (d Cilic); F: Kitzbuehel (l Haase); SF(3): Auckland (l Rochus); Montpellier (l Berdych); Halle (l Haas); QF(5): Delray Bch (l Sela); Eastbourne (l Seppi); Wimbledon (l Tsonga); Hamburg (l Almagro); Metz (l Monfils)
YTD W-L: 41-21
YTD Titles: 1
Career Titles: 4
Date of Birth: October 16, 1983
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 19
SF(3): San Jose (l Raonic); Eastbourne (l Seppi); Newport (l Isner); QF: Houston (l Russell)
YTD W-L: 23-23
YTD Titles: 0
Career Titles: 0
Date of Birth: May 7, 1992
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 54
W: Gstaad (d Tipsarevic); SF(2): Sao Paulo (l Volandri); Stuttgart (l Tipsarevic); QF: Nice (l Simon)
YTD W-L: 22-18
YTD Titles: 1
Career Titles: 3
Date of Birth: December 30, 1987
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 40
W: St. Petersburg (d Fognini); SF: Kitzbuehel (l Haase)
YTD W-L: 18-12
YTD Titles: 1
Career Titles: 1
Date of Birth: July 11, 1989
South African Airways ATP Ranking: 34
FIRST ROUND HEAD-TO-HEADS – To be played Monday/Tuesday (in draw order)
Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) vs Jeremy Chardy (FRA) Chardy Leads 2-0
10 ATP Masters 1000 Shanghai Hard R32 Jeremy Chardy 6-1 5-7 6-2
11 Moscow (Russia) Hard R16 Jeremy Chardy 6-3 7-6(6)
Jurgen Melzer (AUT) vs Gilles Simon (FRA) Simon Leads 3-2
06 Bucharest (Romania) Clay R16 Jurgen Melzer 3-6 6-3 6-4
09 Bangkok (Thailand) Hard SF Gilles Simon 6-4 7-6(3)
11 AUT vs. FRA WG 1st RD (Austria) Clay RR Jurgen Melzer 7-6(7) 3-6 1-6 6-4 6-0
11 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Cincinnati Hard R64 Gilles Simon 6-7(3) 6-3 7-5
12 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Miami Hard R32 Gilles Simon 7-6(5) 6-4
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) Hewitt Leads 3-0
03 Australian Open (Australia) Hard R32 Lleyton Hewitt 6-3 6-2 6-0
03 US Open (U.S.A.) Hard R32 Lleyton Hewitt 6-1 3-0 ret
09 Wimbledon (Great Britain) Grass R16 Lleyton Hewitt 4-6 2-6 6-1 6-2 6-2
Viktor Troicki (SRB) vs Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) Tied 2-2
09 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Indian WellsHard R128 Viktor Troicki 7-5 2-1 ret
09 Barcelona (Spain) Clay R64 Mikhail Youzhny 6-7(5) 7-6(6) 6-3
10 Roland Garros (France) Clay R32 Mikhail Youzhny 2-6 7-6(4) 6-2 6-3
11 World Team Championship (Duesseldorf)Clay RR Viktor Troicki 6-3 6-1
Feliciano Lopez (ESP) vs Alejandro Falla (COL) Lopez Leads 1-0
11 Australian Open (Australia) Hard R128 Feliciano Lopez 6-3 7-6(6) 6-3
03 Segovia CH (Spain) Hard R16 Alejandro Falla 6-7(3) 6-2 2-0 ret
Pablo Andujar (ESP) vs Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) Andujar Leads 1-0
11 Nice (France) Clay R32 Pablo Andujar 5-0 ret
10 Geneva CH (Switzerland) Clay F Grigor Dimitrov 6-2 4-6 6-4
* Does not include qualifiers (to be completed Sunday)
- Shanghai, Dubai & Bastad Repeat As Winners Of ATP World Tour Tournaments Of The Year Awards
- London Final Preview - Djokovic & Federer: The Ultimate Showdown
- London Sunday Preview - Semi-final Line-up Repeat Of Olympic Finals Day
- London Saturday Preview - Federer Into Semis, Ferrer & Del Potro Aim For Other Semi
- London Friday Preview - Djokovic & Murray Chase Semi-final Berths
- London Thursday Preview - Federer, Ferrer In Pole Position In Group B