Nestor/Zimonjic Reunite To Win Basel Opener
ATP World Tour 2012 Season - Week 43
by ATP Staff|
Top seeds Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonjic, who have won 23 tour-level titles including three Grand Slam doubles crowns, reunited at the Swiss Indoors Basel on Wednesday to open their campaign with a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Swiss wild cards Marco Chiudinelli and Michael Lammer in 68 minutes.
Nestor and Zimonjic, the 2009 titlists, converted five of their 16 break point opportunities. Nestor is aiming to lift his 80th trophy this week.
Fourth seeds Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski secured their place in the semi-finals after defeating Wimbledon champions Jonathan Marray and Frederik Nielsen 7-5, 7-6(6) in one hour and 24 minutes. They fired 16 aces and broke serve three times.
Fyrstenberg and Matkowski are attempting to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals and began the week at No. 8 in the ATP Doubles Team Rankings Race To London.
At the Valencia Open 500, No. 2 seeds Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares teamed up for a 6-4, 6-2 win over Martin Klizan and Michal Mertinak. Peya and Soares won back-to-back titles in Kuala Lumpur and Tokyo during the Asian swing.
- Kubot/Lindstedt Stun Bryans In Group A Clash
- Three Doubles Teams Qualify For London
- Federer Captures Sixth Basel Crown, Continues No. 1 Quest
- Murray Saves 5 M.P. For Valencia Title, Boosts London Bid
- Watch Highlights From Federer's Title Victory In Basel
- Federer Throws Pizza Party For Basel Ball Kids