VALENCIA OPEN 2012
Peya/Soares Capture Third Team Crown In Valencia
by ATP Staff|
The second seeds converted five of their break point opportunities to defeat Spaniards David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco 6-3, 6-2 in 65 minutes on Sunday to lift their third ATP World Tour title of the season.
Peya and Soares were presented a cheque for €101,280 and earned 500 ATP Doubles Team Rankings points, while Marrero and Verdasco share €45,700 and 300 points.
'It feels great," said Peya. "Every title feels great. We played four very, very good matches here and didn’t drop a set. I think we deserved to win this week. I really do."
Soares added, "It was another really good week. We improved a little bit more in Tokyo, after Kuala Lumpur, and this week even more. It is a good feeling to know we are becoming a better team every week. We didn’t drop a set here and it feels good."
Peya and Soares have now won 12 of their past 13 matches, including back-to-back titles at the Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur and the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships in Tokyo (d. Paes-Stepanek). They are now 26-9 on the season.
Marrero and Verdasco were chasing their fifth team title of 2012, following trophy successes in Hamburg (d. Munoz-de la Nava-Dutra Silva), Umag (d. Granollers-M. Lopez), Acapulco (d. Granollers-M. Lopez) and Buenos Aires (d. Mertinak-Sa).
- Doubles Contenders Boost London Chances
- Ferrer Sweeps Past Verdasco In Valencia; Murray Passes Fognini Test
- Ferrer Records 50th Win, Faces Verdasco Next In Valencia
- Berdych Crashes Out In Valencia; Murray Looks To Capitalise
- Robredo Edges Closer To Milestone; Lopez, Verdasco Reach Second Round
- Robredo Dethrones Lopez In “Corona’s Longest Serve” Competition