CORONA WEEKLY SLICE 2012
Corona Slice: Race To London Reaches Paris Climax
by Kate Flory|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
The regular ATP World Tour season concludes this week with an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament in Paris.
BNP Paribas Masters: World No. 2 Novak Djokovic and No. 3-ranked Andy Murray lead the field as they return to action for the first time since contesting a scintillating final at the Shanghai Rolex Masters. The South African Airways ATP Rankings Race To London will be decided this week, with two spaces at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals still to be claimed. Last year's Paris runner-up Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Janko Tipsarevic are in prime position to qualify, but will face competition from Richard Gasquet, Nicolas Almagro, Juan Monaco, Milos Raonic, John Isner and Marin Cilic.
Website | Facebook | Twitter
Race To London Update
With six of the eight slots locked up for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, this is how the players stack up in their quest to claim one of the two remaining places as of 28 October...
Potential Milestones (Career match wins as of 28 October 2012)
Paris – Singles
Kevin Anderson - 97 wins
Alexandr Dolgopolov - 94 wins
Richard Gasquet - 298 wins
Feliciano Lopez - 296 wins
Jurgen Melzer - 294 wins
Kei Nishikori - 98 wins
Stanislas Wawrinka - 246 wins
Mikhail Youzhny - 399 wins
Paris – Doubles
Rohan Bopanna - 145 wins
Mariusz Fyrstenberg - 295 wins
Lukasz Kubot - 145 wins
Jurgen Melzer - 244 wins
Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi - 149 wins
Nenad Zimonjic - 545 wins
Richard Gasquet 12 (+1 spot)
Milos Raonic 14 (+1 spot) - Career High
Alexandr Dolgopolov 18 (+3 spots)
Jurgen Melzer 30 (+8 spots)
David Goffin 42 (+3 spots) - Career High
Brian Baker 52 (+5 spots) - Career High
Grigor Dimitrov 55 (+7 spots)
Yen-Hsun Lu 59 (+11 spots)
Paul-Henri Mathieu 64 (+37 spots)
Ivan Dodig 67 (+43 spots)
Lleyton Hewitt 81 (+10 spots)
Player To Watch: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
The 27-year-old Tsonga will look to clinch his place at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals with a strong showing at the BNP Paribas Masters. The Frenchman reached the final in Paris-Bercy last year, finishing runner-up to Federer, and lifted the trophy – his only ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy – in 2008 (d. Nalbandian). He has won two ATP World Tour titles this season and has a 53-21 match record.
WEEK IN REVIEW
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
Video Of The Week
ATP World Tour Uncovered pays tribute to Spain's former World No. 1 and 2003 Roland Garros champion Juan Carlos Ferrero, who retired from professional tennis at the Valencia Open 500.
In Case You Missed It…
Basel: Second seed Juan Martin del Potro defeated the top seed and hometown favourite Roger Federer, a five-time titlist, 6-4, 6-7(5), 7-6(3) in the Swiss Indoors Basel final. It was his fourth ATP World Tour title of the season.
Del Potro: "It Was An Unbelievable Final"
Valencia: David Ferrer continued his remarkable year by capturing a career-high sixth ATP World Tour title on Sunday, when he won his third Valencia Open 500 trophy.
Ferrer: "I Wanted To Dedicate The Victory To Ferrero"
• Daniel Nestor became the fourth player in ATP World Tour history (since 1973) to capture 80 doubles titles (80-51) when he and Nenad Zimonjic won the Swiss Indoors Basel. More...
• Juan Carlos Ferrero received a €10,000 ATP ACES For Charity grant for the Juan Carlos Ferrero Foundation from ATP Executive Chairman and President Brad Drewett and ATP CEO Europe Laurent Delanney in the final tournament of his career at the Valencia Open 500. More...
• Juan Martin del Potro qualified for the 2012 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. He will be making his third career appearance at the season finale. More...
• Former World No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero received an emotional farewell in a special ceremony on Wednesday at the Valencia Open 500. Rafael Nadal flew in from Mallorca to join golfer Sergio Garcia, former Grand Prix motorcyclist Sete Gibernau and a number of fellow ATP World Tour stars. More...
• World No. 1 Roger Federer accepted a €10,000 ATP ACES For Charity grant for the Roger Federer Foundation during his hometown tournament, the Swiss Indoors Basel. “It was very much appreciated, any size of donation to our Foundation,” he said. More...
• Former World No. 15 Robby Ginepri kicked off a busy wedding season for Americans on the ATP World Tour as he wed longtime girlfriend Josephine Stafford on 29 September in Atlanta, Georgia. More...
Basel | Valencia
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign up here!
- Brain Game: The Backhand Effect
- 2013 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals Delivers Record Audiences As Event Continues To Thrive In London
- Djokovic Retains Title With Two-Set Win
- Djokovic: ‘We Make Each Other Better’
- Nadal Relishes “Very Special” Year Amidst Final Defeat
- Novak Takes One Direction To The Top