CORONA WEEKLY SLICE 2012
Corona Slice: Final Showdown Takes Over London
by Matt Fitzgerald|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
There is the final tournament of the year, the season finale in London.
Barclays ATP World Tour Finals: The Top 8 singles players and doubles teams of the 2012 season will battle it out as they seek to finish the year with a triumph at The O2. Novak Djokovic, who returns to No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings this week, leads Group A, which also features third-ranked Andy Murray, sixth-ranked Tomas Berdych and seventh-ranked Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Roger Federer, who won a record sixth title at the season finale last year, headlines Group B. He will take on World No. 5 David Ferrer, No. 8 Juan Martin del Potro and No. 9 Janko Tipsarevic in round robin action.
View Website! | How The Format Works
Here’s how the eight singles players competing at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals have fared in the past at the season-ending championships...
|Group A||Event W-L||Group B||Event W-L|
|Novak Djokovic||9-9||Roger Federer||39-7|
|Andy Murray||7-5||David Ferrer||6-6|
|Tomas Berdych||3-4||Juan Martin del Potro||4-4|
|Jo-Wilfried Tsonga||4-4||Janko Tipsarevic||1-1|
• The world's top men's singles players and doubles teams, including Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, attended the official Barclays ATP World Tour Finals Gala, held at The Royal Courts of Justice in London. The event, supported by Moët & Chandon, raised more than £400,000 for Great Ormond Street Hospital Children's Charity. More…
Potential Milestones (Career match wins as of 5 November 2012)
London Finale – Singles
Janko Tipsarevic – 245 wins
London Finale – Doubles
Rohan Bopanna – 149 wins
Novak Djokovic 1 (+1 spot)
Roger Federer 2 (-1 spot)
Juan Martin del Potro 7 (+1 spot)
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 8 (-1 spot)
Richard Gasquet 10 (+2 spots)
Gilles Simon 16 (+4 spots)
Jerzy Janowicz 26 (+43 spots) – Career High
Grigor Dimitrov 48 (+7 spots) – Career High
Michael Llodra 52 (+69 spots)
Nicolas Mahut 104 (-31 spots)
Player To Watch: Andy Murray
Murray returns to London to play his first event in front of a home crowd since winning his first major title at the US Open (d. Djokovic). The 25 year old was victorious the last time he played on home soil, defeating Roger Federer to win the gold medal at the London 2012 Olympics, held at Wimbledon. He is looking to win his first Barclays ATP World Tour Finals, having reached the semi-finals on two occasions in 2008 and 2010. Last year, Murray was forced to withdraw after his first round robin match with a groin injury.
WEEK IN REVIEW
@SomdevD (Somdev Devvarman)
Congrats to janowicz for a great week. And to David Ferrer on winning his first masters title. Ferrer continues to be my idol
@rohanbopanna (Rohan Bopanna)
Great feeling to defend my masters title with a different partner. @Maheshbhupathi, London up next. :) pic.twitter.com/1OazLAxt
@BjorkmanTennis (Jonas Bjorkman)
Great to see David Ferrer win his first Master1000 title in Paris. Well deserved! #Greatfighter #vamosdavid
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
In Case You Missed It…
Paris: World No. 5 David Ferrer captured his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 crown at the BNP Paribas Masters, ending the run of qualifier Jerzy Janowicz with a 6-4, 6-3 victory.
Ferrer: “It Was A Dream For Me”
• Defending champion David Ferrer, Mardy Fish and David Goffin have all been confirmed for the 2013 Heineken Open in Auckland. More…
• The latest edition of ‘DEUCE’ launched, featuring stories on all eight of the participating singles players at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals and an article about Wimbledon doubles champion Jonathan Marray.
See the new issue!
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign up here!
How did you fare in the final Draw Challenge of the season?
View your bracket!
- Federer Races To 47-Minute Win; Dimitrov Battles Past Teenager
- Nadal Sweeps Into Basel QFs; Coric Records Biggest Win Of His Career
- Ferrer Records 50th Win, Faces Verdasco Next In Valencia
- Berdych Crashes Out In Valencia; Murray Looks To Capitalise
- Stars Of Tomorrow: Alexander Zverev
- Djokovic Celebrates Birth Of Baby Boy