AIRCEL CHENNAI OPEN 2013
Paire/Wawrinka Capture First Team Title
by ATP Staff|
Paire and Wawrinka hit five aces and won 22 of their 26 service points for victory in 56 minutes. The French-Swiss duo, playing together for the fourth time, split $23,950 and earned 250 Emirates ATP Rankings points.
"It’s very nice to win this title with my friend, Benoit," said Wawrinka. "It has been a great tournament for us and it’s fantastic to win here in Chennai. I really enjoy this event a lot and it means a lot to me to be here tonight with the trophy in my hands."
Wawrinka, who was runner-up with Jean-Claude Scherrer in the 2009 Chennai final, improved to 2-4 lifetime in finals. He won the 2008 Beijing Olympics gold medal with Roger Federer. Paire was contesting his first ATP World Tour doubles final.
"It was not easy to play the semi-final last night, since I was very disappointed about losing my singles in the afternoon," said Paire. "But we had a lot of fun and it was great to play with Stan."
Begemann and Emmrich, who won the Erste Bank Open doubles title at Vienna in October 2012, were broken four times in the final. They received $12,590 in prize money and 150 points.
It was the sixth all unseeded doubles final (2000, 2006-09) in the history of the ATP World Tour 250 hard-court tennis tournament.
- Watch How Wawrinka Won His First Indoor Title In Rotterdam
- Challenger Spotlight: Fratangelo Earns Maiden Title In Dramatic Fashion
- Wawrinka Captures Rotterdam Crown; Extends Streak Versus Berdych
- Send In Your Questions As Wawrinka Takes Over ATP Insider
- Verdasco Tours Quito, Cilic/Baghdatis Play Soldier
- Paes/Hingis Win Australian Open Mixed Doubles Title