ATP WORLD TOUR 2013 - WEEK 1
Top Seeds Win Brisbane Doubles Opener
by ATP Staff|
Top seeds Eric Butorac and Paul Hanley opened their Brisbane International campaign with a 6-4, 7-6(0) victory over Australian wild cards Chris Guccione and Lleyton Hewitt on Sunday. The American/Australian pairing fired nine aces and saved four of the five break points they faced in the 73-minute contest.
Butorac and Hanley are playing their eighth tournament together. They were runners-up at the Thailand Open in Bangkok in the 2012 season (l. to Lu/Udomchoke). The 35-year-old Hanley is a former champion in Brisbane, lifting the trophy with Lukas Dlouhy in 2011 (d. Lindstedt/Tecau).
First-time pairing Grigor Dimitrov and Kei Nishikori upset fourth seeds Mikhail Elgin and Denis Istomin 7-6(5), 4-6, 10-7. They won seven points fewer than their opponents but converted one of their seven break points to claim victory.
- Federer Leads All-Star Brisbane Line-Up
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel