ATP WORLD TOUR 2013 - WEEK 1
Top Seeds Win Brisbane Doubles Opener
by ATP Staff|
Top seeds Eric Butorac and Paul Hanley opened their Brisbane International campaign with a 6-4, 7-6(0) victory over Australian wild cards Chris Guccione and Lleyton Hewitt on Sunday. The American/Australian pairing fired nine aces and saved four of the five break points they faced in the 73-minute contest.
Butorac and Hanley are playing their eighth tournament together. They were runners-up at the Thailand Open in Bangkok in the 2012 season (l. to Lu/Udomchoke). The 35-year-old Hanley is a former champion in Brisbane, lifting the trophy with Lukas Dlouhy in 2011 (d. Lindstedt/Tecau).
First-time pairing Grigor Dimitrov and Kei Nishikori upset fourth seeds Mikhail Elgin and Denis Istomin 7-6(5), 4-6, 10-7. They won seven points fewer than their opponents but converted one of their seven break points to claim victory.
- Bolelli/Fognini Give Italy Lifeline; Switzerland Leads 2-1
- 100 Team Titles: A Remarkable Achievement
- Brunstrom/Monroe Fight Back To Clinch Bastad Crown
- Kowalczyk/Sitak Capture Stuttgart Crown
- Peya/Soares Reach Semi-finals At Queen's
- Klizan/Oswald Cruise To Nice Doubles Crown; Gonzalez/Lipsky Remain Perfect