APIA INTERNATIONAL 2013
Stepanek, Nieminen Win In Sydney; Millman Upsets Robredo
by ATP Staff|
The Czech 34-year-old won 79 per cent of his first serve points to lift his FedEX ATP Head2Head over Garcia-Lopez to 2-1.
Stepanek faces Julien Benneteau in the second round. The duo have split the honours from their four prior meetings, with the Frenchman winning their most recent match at the 2010 US Open 6-4, 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.
The Finn didn't face a break point en route to booking a second-round clash against second seed Gilles Simon. The two have split their four previous encounters.
Millman described conditions as tough, but credited his Australian heritage as an advantage.
"We've played in them every day since we were six years old or whatever," said the 23-year-old, who is aiming to reduce his ranking to at least 146, which will equal brother-in-law Robert Smeets' career-best.
"I think he's a bit more nervous than me at the moment. I want to knock off him and then get inside that Top 100," said Millman.
The right-hander converted half of his six break point chances to book a battle with Italian third seed Andreas Seppi.
"He'll definitely make me work out there. It's going to be a really stern challenge for me, but one that I'm going to look forward to," Millman said.
- Czech Republic Reaches Davis Cup SFs; Great Britain Closes On Historic Victory
- Czechs Take Lead In Tokyo; Tsonga, France Fall Behind Against Germany
- Murray Leads Britain's Davis Cup Bid
- Murray Advances In Miami; Tsonga Completes Comeback
- Federer Fights Back To Beat Stepanek
- Murray, Pospisil, Lopez Have Fun At Acapulco Players' Party