CORONA SLICE 2013
Corona Slice: House Of The Rising Serb
by Matt Fitzgerald|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
There are eight Davis Cup World Group first round ties beginning Friday, 1 February.
Novak Djokovic headlines the players in action this weekend. Fresh off winning his sixth major title at the Australian Open, Djokovic aims to lead Serbia to victory alongside Janko Tipsarevic on the road in Belgium. The Czech Republic fields its two heroes from the 2012 champion squad, Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek, against Stanislas Wawrinka and Switzerland in Geneva. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA), Richard Gasquet (FRA), Nicolas Almagro (ESP), Juan Monaco (ARG), Milos Raonic (CAN) and John Isner (USA) are also competing for their respecitve countries.
David Ferrer 4 (+1 spot)
Rafael Nadal 5 (-1 spot)
Andreas Seppi 18 (+5 spots) – Career High
Jeremy Chardy 25 (+11 spots) – Career High
Evgeny Donskoy 69 (+13 spots) – Career High
Ricardas Berankis 85 (+25 spots)
Daniel Brands 100 (+20 spots)
Lleyton Hewitt 115 (-34 spots)
Mikhail Kukushkin 155 (-50 spots)
Player To Watch: Tomas Berdych
World No. 6 Berdych leads reigning Davis Cup champion Czech Republic in its first round tie against host Switzerland. Berdych helped guide his country to its first Davis Cup crown as an independent nation in 2012, posting a 10-1 record. He and countryman Radek Stepanek will be tough to beat, having won 11 of their 12 doubles rubbers. Berdych is 38-13 overall in Davis Cup action. He is coming off his third consecutive quarter-final showing at the Australian Open, where he fell to eventual champion Novak Djokovic in four sets.
WEEK IN REVIEW
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
Video Of The Week
Watch as Novak Djokovic closes out Stanislas Wawrinka in one of the most exciting match points on record to win their epic fourth-round thriller 12-10 in the fifth set.
In Case You Missed It…
Melbourne: World No. 1 Novak Djokovic became the first man in the Open Era to win three straight Australian Open titles, rallying past third-ranked Andy Murray 6-7(2), 7-6(3), 6-3, 6-2.
The House Of The Rising Serb
In defeating Andy Murray in four sets to triumph at Melbourne Park, Novak Djokovic won his fourth Australian Open crown in six years. He is just the sixth man to win at least four titles at the event and third in the Open Era. See who he joined in the chart below...
|Roy Emerson (AUS)||6||1961, 1963-1967|
|Jack Crawford (AUS)||4||1931-1933, 1935|
|Ken Rosewall (AUS)||4||1953, 1955, 1971, 1972|
|Andre Agassi (USA)||4||1995, 2000, 2001, 2003|
|Roger Federer (SUI)||4||2004, 2006, 2007, 2010|
|Novak Djokovic (SRB)||4||2008, 2011-2013|
• Top seeds Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan defeated Robin Haase and Igor Sijsling 6-3, 6-4 in the men’s doubles final to win an all-time record 13th major team title. More...
• Matthew Ebden partnered Jarmila Gajdosova to the mixed doubles crown with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Frantisek Cermak and Lucie Hradecka. More...
• World No. 5 David Ferrer notched his 500th career match win after overcoming compatriot Nicolas Almagro 4-6, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(4), 6-2 in the quarter-finals. Read Shark Bites...
• Rafael Nadal will make his return from injury at the VTR Open in Vina Del Mar, beginning 4 February. More...
• Brad Drewett will enter a transition period as ATP Executive Chairman and President due to illness, the ATP announced. More...
• The ATP has released its 2014 ATP World Tour calendar, as approved by the ATP Board of Directors. More…
• Andy Murray and Serena Williams were voted the International Tennis Writers Association’s Ambassadors of the Year for 2012. More...
• Justin Gimelstob guest starred on the popular CBS television show, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. More...
• Rogier Wassen has earned a bachelor’s degree in marketing through the ATP’s continuing education programme with the University of Phoenix. More...
• Philipp Kohlschreiber and top-ranked Austrian Jurgen Melzer have committed to play at the bet-at-home Cup 2013 Kitzbühel in July. More...
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign up here!