ATP WORLD TOUR 2013 - WEEK 7
"Polish Power" Edge Into Rotterdam SFs
by ATP Staff|
The “Polish Power”, Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski, scraped into the ABN AMRO World Tennis Tournament semi-finals on Thursday with a 4-6, 7-5, 10-8 win over Jerzy Janowicz and Jarkko Nieminen in one hour and 34 minutes.
Both pairs hit four aces and broke serve four times, but fourth seeds Fyrstenberg and Matkowski held their nerve to record their first match win of the season. The duo is bidding to capture their 14th ATP World Tour title this week in Rotterdam and face Dutchmen Thiemo de Bakker and Jesse Huta Galung next. The wild card duo topped French pair Julien Benneteau and Richard Gasquet 6-4, 3-6, 10-7.
At the Brasil Open 2013, No. 2 seeds Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares eased past Juan Sebastian Cabal and Santiago Giraldo 6-4, 6-2 to reach the semi-finals in Sao Paulo. Third seeds Frantisek Cermak and Michal Mertinak also advanced in quarter-final action, winning 40 of their 49 first service points to beat Marcelo Demoliner and Pedro Zerbini 6-4, 7-6(5).
At the SAP Open in San Jose, top seeded American twins Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan were toppled by wild cards Lleyton Hewitt and Marinko Matosevic. The Australian team won 6-4, 6-7(4), 10-7 in one hour and 19 minutes.
Hewitt/Matosevic served a six aces and saved all three break points on serve en route to a semi-final clash against Mikhail Elgin and Denis Istomin. Elgin/Istomin earlier upset third seeds Santiago Gonzalez and Scott Lipsky 6-4, 6-4.
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown