PLAYER NEWS 2013
Federer Hopes To Meet Mandela On Foundation Visit
by ATP Staff|
Roger Federer is travelling to South Africa at the weekend and hopes to meet Nelson Mandela during his stay. The Swiss star, who was beaten in the Rotterdam quarter-finals on Friday, will travel to Johannesburg to visit one of his foundation’s projects.
"I'm really hoping to be able to meet Nelson Mandela. We have been reaching out to him," Federer told South African Press. "It would be amazing and a dream come true. I only have a few days, but I want to visit one of the projects of the foundation. I'm looking forward to it since I haven't been to South Africa in some time."
Federer’s foundation supports nine projects in Africa and benefits 14,000 children in South Africa, the country of his mother’s birth. Federer also visited Africa in 2010, when he travelled to Ethiopia to see the work of his foundation.
On his return from South Africa, Federer will compete at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, where he has won the title five times.
- FedEx ATP Performance Zone: 52-Week Indoor Records
- ATP Announces Celebrity Charity Fundraiser
- By The Numbers: Federer's Season Improvement
- Tsonga, Monfils Headline Metz Draw As Emirates ATP Race To London Continues
- New York Youth To Benefit From ATP Aces Grant
- Federer Looking Ahead To Davis Cup Final