COPA CLARO 2013
Ferrer Returns To Buenos Aires Final; Wawrinka Defeats Almagro
Buenos Aires, Argentina
by ATP Staff|
After finding himself down a break early in the match, defending champion Ferrer quickly turned things around. The top seed broke Robredo four times, winning 49 per cent of his return points to win the semi-final meeting in 78 minutes. Ferrer improved to 6-2 against Robredo.
Ferrer is looking to retain a title for the second time this season, having captured his third straight crown at the Heineken Open in Auckland (d. Kohlschreiber). The 30 year old reached the Australian Open semi-finals (l. to Djokovic) and has a 16-2 season record. For the title, Ferrer will play third seed Stanislas Wawrinka.
The 17th-ranked Wawrinka defeated No. 2 seed Nicolas Almagro 6-3, 7-5, saving all four break points he faced to claim victory in 70 minutes. Wawrinka is through to his first final in more than two years; he captured the Aircel Chennai Open crown on his last title match appearance in 2011. The Swiss is 3-6 against Ferrer.
- Federer/Wawrinka Hand Swiss Advantage In Davis Cup Final
- Rivalries Of 2014: Murray vs. Robredo
- Brilliant Wawrinka Strikes 61 Winners To Give Switzerland Lead In Davis Cup Final
- Escape Artist: Federer Reflects On 2014 M.P. Saving Wins
- Wawrinka To Play Federer In Semis, Finishes Group A With 2-1 Record
- Nishikori Beats Ferrer To Stay In Hunt