ABIERTO MEXICANO TELCEL 2013
Melzer Falls In Acapulco Opener; Andujar Rallies
by ATP Staff|
Portugal's Joao Sousa knocked out No. 5 seed Jurgen Melzer 6-4, 6-3 in the first round of the Abierto Mexicano Telcel on Monday in Acapulco. Sousa won 76 per cent of his first serve points in the 83-minute upset win.
Pablo Andujar overcame a slow start to defeat qualifier Dusan Lajovic 3-6, 7-5, 6-2. Andujar broke the Serb twice in the decisive set to advance in two hours and 21 minutes. The win marked just the Spaniard's second tour-level victory in eight matches this season.
Qualifier Martin Alund edged wild card Daniel Garza 7-6(7), 7-5 in one hour and 56 minutes. Alund reached his first ATP World Tour semi-final two weeks ago at the Brasil Open 2013 in Sao Paulo (l. to Nadal).
- Murray, Isner To Join Ferrer In Acapulco
- Nadal Dethrones Ferrer For Acapulco Trophy
- Kubot/Marrero Win Acapulco Title On Team Debut
- Ferrer To Face Nadal In Acapulco Final
- Bhupathi Goes For Fifth Dubai Title With Llodra; Play Lindstedt/Zimonjic In Final
- Nadal To Play Almagro In Acapulco SFs; Ferrer Sails Through