ATP WORLD TOUR 2013 - WEEK 9
Kubot/Marrero Win Acapulco Title On Team Debut
by ATP Staff|
Second seeds Lukasz Kubot and David Marrero triumphed on their team debut at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel on Saturday, easing past Simone Bolelli and Fabio Fognini 7-5, 6-2. Kubot and Marrero capitalised on five of their seven break points to clinch the win 70 minutes.
“We decided to play together at the last minute. We were supposed to play with different partners, but they got injured,” Kubot said. “I think we did great. Every match, we played much better. We played good tennis today, especially in the second set.”
Both Kubot and Marrero celebrated their second title in Acapulco. Kubot lifted the trophy in 2010 with Oliver Marach, while Marrero successfully defended the crown, having been victorious with Fernando Verdasco last year. The two won 500 Emirates ATP Rankings points and share $86,200.
“I really like coming back to Acapulco,” said Marrero. “It is amazing to repeat winning the title. We played good in every match. I am so happy because I have great memories here. I hope to come back every year.”
The Italians were bidding to win their second title in as many weeks, after capturing the Copa Claro trophy in Buenos Aires (d. Monroe/Stadler).
- New Teams Make Impact In Opening Weeks Of Season
- Players Share Favourite Sydney Sights
- ATP Challenger Tour Season In Review
- Bolelli Surging In Comeback Campaign: Challenger Tour Finals Preview
- Kubot/Lindstedt Complete Group A With 3-0 Record; Now For Dodig/Melo SF
- Kubot/Lindstedt Qualify For Semi-finals From Group A