ATP WORLD TOUR 2013 - WEEK 9
Blake/Sock Capture Delray Beach Crown
by ATP Staff|
Wild card pair James Blake and Jack Sock captured their first team title at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships on Sunday, upsetting top seeds Max Mirnyi and Horia Tecau 6-4, 6-4. The Americans capitalised on four of their seven break point opportunities to lock up the victory in 73 minutes.
“I really have to thank Jack. He played unbelievable,” Blake said. “It’s a ton of fun to play with someone who really enjoys playing. He’s a great partner.”
Blake and Sock were contesting their second consecutive final, having finished runner-up to Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan last week at the U.S. National Indoor Tennis Championships in Memphis on their team debut. Blake improved to 7-3 in tour-level doubles finals, while Sock lifted his first ATP World Tour trophy. The Americans split $25,000 and take home 250 Emirates ATP Rankings points.
“Obviously, it’s a big step for me. It was tough conditions today, but it was a lot of fun,” said Sock. “I want to thank the tournament director (Mark Baron) for giving me a wild card in both singles and doubles. That was very generous. I was lucky to play with such a great player. We had a blast. We joked around and had fun, but I learned a lot, too.”
Mirnyi and Tecau dropped to 0-2 this season in title matches. They also reached the final at the Apia International Sydney (l. to Bryans).
- Rojer/Tecau Get Italians Bolelli/Fognini In Semi-Finals
- New Teams Make Impact In Opening Weeks Of Season
- Bryans’ 100th Title, Zimonjic 600th Win Lead Doubles Storylines In 2014
- Kubot/Lindstedt Complete Group A With 3-0 Record; Now For Dodig/Melo SF
- Kubot/Lindstedt Stun Bryans In Group A Clash
- Watch Rojer/Tecau Hot Shot; Peya/Soares Save 1 M.P. In Group A Win