CORONA WEEKLY SLICE 2013
Corona Slice: Nole, Rafa On Form
by Matt Fitzgerald|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona Weekly Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
There is one ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event in Indian Wells.
BNP Paribas Open: The stars align in Indian Wells for the first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament of the year. World No. 1 Novak Djokovic carries an 18-match win streak dating back to his victory last November at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Second-ranked Roger Federer seeks a successful title defence and fifth event crown. World No. 3 Andy Murray bids for his first trophy at the event, while David Ferrer and Rafael Nadal look to make a smooth transition from clay to hard courts.
Facebook | Twitter | Website
Nicolas Almagro 11 (+1 spot)
Marin Cilic 12 (-1 spot)
Jerzy Janowicz 24 (+2 spots) - Career High
Fabio Fognini 36 (+7 spots)
Ernests Gulbis 67 (+42 spots)
Daniel Brands 74 (+23 spots)
Edouard Roger-Vasselin 78 (+27 spots)
Santiago Giraldo 82 (-16 spots)
Player To Watch: Andy Murray
The third-ranked Murray returns to action for the first time since falling in the Australian Open final to Novak Djokovic. The Scot began the season by retaining the trophy at the Brisbane International (d. Dimitrov). He followed it up by reaching his third final at Melbourne Park, posting his first Grand Slam match win over Roger Federer in the semi-finals. In Indian Wells, Murray will look to avoid the upset bug after crashing out in his opening-round match on his past two appearances (l. to Young in 2011 and Garcia-Lopez in 2012).
WEEK IN REVIEW
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
Video Of The Week
Novak Djokovic shows he's got the moves on and off the court with belly dancing and Gangnam style routines at the Dubai players' party.
In Case You Missed It…
Dubai: Top seed Novak Djokovic claimed his fourth title at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, beating World No. 6 Tomas Berdych 7-5, 6-3.
Djokovic: “My Serving Today Was Great”
Acapulco: Second seed Rafael Nadal dethroned three-time reigning champion David Ferrer 6-0, 6-2 in the Abierto Mexicano Telcel final to win his second trophy of the year.
Nadal: “I Played Exceptionally Well”
Delray Beach: World No. 109 Ernests Gulbis won his second title at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships, defeating first-time ATP World Tour finalist Edouard Roger-Vasselin 7-6(3), 6-3 to become this season's first qualifier to lift a trophy.
Gulbis: “I Worked Hard”
• Argentine footballing legend Diego Maradona met Roger Federer, Juan Martin del Potro and Novak Djokovic in Dubai. More...
• Nicolas Almagro clinched his 300th match win in Acapulco with a 6-0, 6-1 first-round victory over wild card Cesar Ramirez. More...
• Former champions Lleyton Hewitt (2009) and Tommy Haas (2004) as well as former finalist James Blake (2008) are among the players added to the field for the 2013 US Men's Clay Court Championship in Houston. More...
• The ATP announced the winners of the 2012 ATP World Tour Tournament Awards, with the Shanghai Rolex Masters, the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships and the SkiStar Swedish Open all maintaining their status as the most favoured tournaments on the ATP World Tour in their respective categories. More...
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign up here!
Think you have what it takes to come out on top in the ATP Draw Challenge? The new fantasy tennis season begins in Indian Wells.
Make Your Picks!
- Players Descend On Melbourne For The Year's First Slam
- Down Under Action Continues In Sydney, Auckland; Delpo Returns
- Eight Of Top 10 In Action As 2015 Season Begins
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: London At Last
- Djokovic, Federer Continue Fight For Year-End No. 1; London Berths Up For Grabs
- Federer, Nadal Headline In Basel; Ferrer Leads Valencia Field