CORONA ATP WEEKLY SLICE 2013
Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Will Rafa's Reign Continue?
by Matt Fitzgerald|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona ATP Weekly Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
There is one ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event in Monte-Carlo.
Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters: Eight of the Top 10 players are in action at the Monte-Carlo Country Club as the season shifts to the European spring clay-court swing. Top seed Novak Djokovic bids for his first event crown, while second seed Andy Murray seeks his first clay-court title. Both will likely need to dethrone Rafael Nadal if they want to taste victory, as the ‘King Of Clay’ has lifted the trophy eight years running. Fourth seed Tomas Berdych is a two-time semi-finalist (2007, 2012).
Facebook | Website
Kevin Anderson 26 (+3 spots) – Career High
Tommy Robredo 43 (+29 spots)
Albert Ramos 67 (-15 spots)
Ricardas Berankis 70 (+7 spots) – Career High
Michael Russell 88 (-15 spots)
Pablo Andujar 96 (-39 spots)
17 April – Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (28)
Player To Watch: Rafael Nadal
Third seed Rafael Nadal brings one of the most impressive streaks in sport to Monte-Carlo, where he is the eight-time reigning champion. Nadal has won 42 matches in a row at the event dating back to his third-round loss in 2003 when he was just 16. The Mallorcan has made a triumphant return from a left knee injury this season after being sidelined for seven months. The 22-time Masters 1000 champion has a 17-1 record and is riding a 14-match win streak, picking up three straight trophies in Buenos Aires (d. Nalbandian), Acapulco (d. Ferrer) and Indian Wells (d. del Potro).
WEEK IN REVIEW
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
Video Of The Week
Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray have all had a big impact in the first three months of the 2013 ATP World Tour season. Re-live the big moments so far in season 5, episode 15 of ATP World Tour Uncovered Presented by Rio.
In Case You Missed It…
Casablanca: Tommy Robredo won his first title in more than two years, topping second seed Kevin Anderson 7-6(6), 4-6, 6-3 in the Grand Prix Hassan II final.
Robredo: “I Really Wanted To Win This”
• Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan notched their 800th tour-level team victory after winning their semi-final match in Houston. More...
• Last week marked 20 years since Pete Sampras first ascended to World No. 1, as well as 18 years since rival Andre Agassi reached the top spot in the Emirates ATP Rankings. More...
• Roger Federer will return to play his hometown event at the Swiss Indoors Basel. More...
• Santiago Gonzalez and Scott Lipsky discuss becoming fathers for the first time and choosing the same name for their sons in our exclusive Q&A. More...
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign Up Here!
Think you have selected the inning ATP Draw Challenge bracket in Monte-Carlo?
Track Your Picks!
- Federer, Djokovic Return to Action; Dimitrov Defends In Acapulco
- Rafa Returns In Rio; Raonic, Wawrinka Headline Marseille
- Murray, Wawrinka Back in Action; Nishikori Attempts Three-peat
- Post-Aussie Action in Montpellier, Zagreb And Quito
- Players Descend On Melbourne For The Year's First Slam
- Down Under Action Continues In Sydney, Auckland; Delpo Returns