BARCELONA OPEN BANC SABADELL 2013
Nadal Back On Track In Barcelona; Almagro Wins Opener
by ATP Staff|
The second seed won 48 per cent of his return points to break Berlocq four times, wrapping up victory in 88 minutes. Nadal improved to 2-0 against the Argentine, adding to his quarter-final win earlier this year in Sao Paulo, where he picked up his first of three consecutive trophies (Acapulco, Indian Wells).
“The conditions today weren't comfortable,” said Nadal. “There was a very changeable wind that made it difficult to play at a high level. The most important thing is to accept the situation and move forward.”
Nadal has won 35 successive matches in Barcelona, with his last loss at the ATP World Tour 500 clay-court event coming 10 years ago in the second round to compatriot Alex Corretja. The 26-year-old Nadal has a 271-21 mark on clay and is seeking his 39th tour-level title on the surface.
Fourth seed Nicolas Almagro defeated Ivan Dodig 6-1, 7-5, winning 70 per cent of his service points in the 75-minute victory. World No. 12 Almagro improved to 9-1 in his opening-round matches at the event.
- Rivalries 2014 - Djokovic vs. Nadal
- Djokovic, Federer, Nishikori, Raonic Lead Storylines As 2014 Year-End Emirates ATP Rankings Are Published
- Nadal Optimistic Ahead of 2015 Comeback
- Nadal To Miss Remainder of 2014 Season
- Nadal To Play In Rio Open In 2015
- Nadal Sweeps Into Basel QFs; Coric Records Biggest Win Of His Career