BRD NASTASE TIRIAC TROPHY 2013
Mirnyi/Tecau Claim First Team Title In Bucharest
by ATP Staff|
After levelling the encounter in the second set, the Belarusian/Romanian duo won seven of their eight service points in the decisive Match Tie-break to prevail in 90 minutes. The two were appearing in their third final of the year, following runner-up efforts in Sydney and Delray Beach.
“This title means a lot to me,” said Tecau. “It's very special and you cannot compare it to any other title. Playing at home is always special and the atmosphere was great this week.”
Mirnyi and Tecau were presented the trophy by Olympic icon and Romanian gymnastics hero Nadia Comaneci. Tecau successfully retained the crown after triumphing last year with Robert Lindstedt. He improved to 14-13 in tour-level finals. Mirnyi collected his 46th tour-level title from his 97th final.
“We dreamed about playing here together. We had a scare the last couple weeks with Horia being injured, so it could not have turned out better,” Mirnyi said. “We had unbelievable support from the crowd and Horia produced the best tennis for us to come through in this match. I've never been part of a doubles match with this kind of support.”
Dlouhy and Marach were making their team debut this week.
- Rojer/Tecau Lift Rotterdam Doubles Trophy
- Paes/Hingis Win Australian Open Mixed Doubles Title
- Bolelli/Fognini Capture Australian Open Doubles Crown
- Rojer/Tecau Get Italians Bolelli/Fognini In Semi-Finals
- New Teams Make Impact In Opening Weeks Of Season
- Bryans’ 100th Title, Zimonjic 600th Win Lead Doubles Storylines In 2014