BRD NASTASE TIRIAC TROPHY 2013
Former Champion Mayer Sets Up Goffin Test In Bucharest
by ATP Staff|
Elsewhere, Jarkko Nieminen will face second seed and three-time champion Gilles Simon after the Finn converted two of his 12 break points to beat Evgeny Donskoy 1-6, 6-4, 7-6(3) in two hours and 21 minutes.
Last week, Nieminen reached the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters quarter-finals (l. to Djokovic). He improved to an 18-9 match record in 2013, putting him on course for his best season since 2006, when he went 55-27 and reached a career-high No. 13 in the Emirates ATP Rankings.
Seventh seed Horacio Zeballos lost on his Bucharest debut to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 3-6, 6-4, 6-0. Zeballos won his first ATP World Tour title at the VTR Open in February, beating Rafael Nadal in three sets.
ATP Aces For Charity Grant Presentation
David Massey, Vice President, ATP Europe, presented Ion Tiriac with a €10,000 ATP Aces For Charity grant for the Dumbrava Minunată Foundation.
The Foundation is dedicated to the well-being of vulnerable social groups, including impoverished elderly people in Romania. Established by Tiriac and a team of trained caregivers, it created The Poiana Soarelui Bakery – which now has a network of shops – with the purpose of providing financial revenues to support their social work.
- Garcia-Lopez Fends Off Vesely For Bucharest Crown
- Home Favourites Copil/Ungur Save 5 M.P. To Win Bucharest Doubles Title
- Vesely To Face Garcia-Lopez In Bucharest Final
- Gimeno-Traver Beats Simon In Bucharest; Monfils Sets Garcia-Lopez Clash
- Simon Overcomes Tipsarevic; Monfils To Face Bolelli In Bucharest QFs
- Nadal, Ferrer, Granollers Mix With Spanish Football Stars