PORTUGAL OPEN 2013
Wawrinka, Vesnina Take To The Waves
by ATP Staff|
Stanislas Wawrinka and Elena Vesnina braved the cold conditions in Oeiras Marina on Sunday.
The players took to the water in a sailing boat, the Patrão Mor, for one hour in windy conditions. Wawrinka steered the vessel and Vesnina was First Mate.
“It was an amazing experience,” said Wawrinka. “I got to steer the boat, which I enjoyed. It was nice to do something different, having raced boats last year.”
Wawrinka, the second seed, reached the Portugal Open semi-finals last year. “It is my second year and I am happy to be back,” he said.
“I really enjoyed the tournament last year. I hope to play well and keep improving my game and ranking this year.”
Wawrinka will play Albert Ramos or Carlos Berlocq in the second round. Seventh seed Vesnina faces local wild card Maria Joao Koehler in the first round.
- Wawrinka Beats Ferrer For Portugal Open Crown
- Gonzalez/Lipsky Win First Trophy As Fathers
- Ferrer To Face Wawrinka For Crown; Oeiras Pays Tribute To Brad Drewett
- Ferrer Remains On Course For Oeiras Title; Wawrinka Into SFs For Second Straight Year
- Wawrinka Battles To Win; Elias Breaks New Ground
- Robredo Celebrates 31st Birthday With Fans