PORTUGAL OPEN 2013
Paire Overcomes Sijsling; Roger-Vasselin Faces Ferrer In Second Round
by ATP Staff|
Sixth seed Benoit Paire broke serve five times and hit seven aces on Monday to beat Igor Sijsling 7-6(5), 6-3 to reach the Portugal Open second round. This year’s Open Sud de France runner-up, who has a 4-4 season record on clay, will next meet either Victor Hanescu or qualifier Rui Machado.
David Goffin was made to work on his tournament debut when he battled past wild card Pedro Sousa 7-6(1), 4-6, 6-4. He goes onto face fifth seed Julien Benneteau or qualifier Pablo Carreno-Busta.
Later on day one, Denis Istomin required two hours and seven minutes to edge past Evgeny Donskoy 2-6, 7-6(6), 6-4. Edouard Roger-Vasselin had won the first set 6-1 in 33 minutes, when his opponent Gilles Muller retired due to a left shoulder injury. He will now play World No. 4 David Ferrer.
- Wawrinka Beats Ferrer For Portugal Open Crown
- Gonzalez/Lipsky Win First Trophy As Fathers
- Ferrer To Face Wawrinka For Crown; Oeiras Pays Tribute To Brad Drewett
- Ferrer Remains On Course For Oeiras Title; Wawrinka Into SFs For Second Straight Year
- Wawrinka Battles To Win; Elias Breaks New Ground
- Robredo Celebrates 31st Birthday With Fans