SKISTAR SWEDISH OPEN 2013
Verdasco Aims For Sixth Title In Båstad Final Against Berlocq
by ATP Staff|
Eight seed Verdasco, 29, beat fifth seed Grigor Dimitrov, the youngest player in the Top 40 of the Emirates ATP Rankings, 7-6(3), 5-7, 7-5 in two hours and 30 minutes for a place in his 18th final.
Verdasco is the 12th different Spaniard to reach the Båstad title match. He last reached a final in February 2012 at the Abierto Mexicano Telcel (l. to Ferrer).
He will next play Carlos Berlocq, who converted five of his 10 break point opportunities to defeat Thiemo de Bakker 7-5, 6-3. He will contest his second final on Sunday, having lost to Juan Monaco in the 2010 VTR Open title match.
Berlocq, the fifth Argentine to reach the final (also 1991-Mancini, 2003-Zabaleta, 2004-Gaudio, 2009-Monaco), beat Verdasco in their only FedEx ATP Head2Head meeting at the 2012 Heineken Open.
Monroe/Stadler Advance To Doubles Final
Nicholas Monroe and Simon Stadler, who are playing together at their eight tournament, advanced to their second ATP World Tour final as a team after they beat Argentines Lucas Arnold Ker and Juan Monaco 6-2, 7-6(3) in 68 minutes. The duo reached the Copa Claro title match (l. to Bolelli-Fognini) in February and they will now play Berlocq and Albert Ramos on Sunday.
- Estrella Burgos Saves Match Point In Longest Final Of Year
- Monfils Denies Dimitrov To Reach QFs
- Federer, Berdych, Dimitrov Play Tuesday For US Open QF Berths
- Dimitrov Sails Into Third Round; Joins Fellow Finals Contender Ferrer
- Verdasco Notches No. 400; Tsonga, Wawrinka Advance
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Chases Career Golden Masters