CORONA ATP WEEKLY SLICE 2013
Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Federer In Hamburg; Bogota's Back
by ATP Staff|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona ATP Weekly Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
There is an ATP World Tour 500 event in Hamburg and an ATP World Tour 250 event in Bogotá.
bet-at-home Open - German Tennis Championships: Top seed Roger Federer, a four-time Hamburg champion, returns to the Rothenbaum for the first time in five years. German Tommy Haas, the No. 2 seed, looks to capture the clay-court title following a runner-up finish in 2012. They are joined in the 48-player field by 2011 finalist Nicolas Almagro, Wimbledon semi-finalist Jerzy Janowicz, defending champion Juan Monaco and 2006 winner Tommy Robredo.
Facebook | Website
Claro Open Colombia: Serbian Janko Tipsarevic is the top seed at the inaugural edition of the Bogotá tournament, which is being staged on hard courts at the Centro de Alto Rendimiento - the same venue that hosted an ATP World Tour event from 1997-2002. Rounding out the top four seeds are South African Kevin Anderson, Dutchman Igor Sijsling and France's Edouard Roger-Vasselin. Santiago Giraldo, the No. 6 seed, and Alejandro Falla lead Colombia's titles hopes.
Facebook | Twitter | Website
Potential Milestones (Career match wins as of 14 July 2013)
Hamburg - Singles
Ernests Gulbis - 148 wins
Robin Haase - 96 wins
Florian Mayer - 195 wins
Dmitry Tursunov - 195 wins
Hamburg - Doubles
Michal Mertinak - 198 wins
Bogota - Singles
Edouard Roger-Vasselin - 47 wins
Philipp Kohlschreiber 22 (+3 spots)
Fabio Fognini 25 (+6 spots)
Carlos Berlocq 46 (+28 spots)
Marcel Granollers 51 (-10 spots)
Thomaz Bellucci 70 (-14 spots)
Nicolas Mahut 75 (+52 spots)
Michael Russell 81 (+14 spots)
Thiemo de Bakker 88 (+17 spots)
Player To Watch: Roger Federer
Roger Federer looks to bounce back from his second-round Wimbledon exit, this week as the top seed at the bet-at-home Open - German Tennis Championships. The 31-year-old Swiss has a 29-4 record in Hamburg, highlighted by titles in 2002 (d. Safin), 2004 (d. Coria), 2005 (d. Gasquet) and 2007 (d. Nadal) and a runner-up finish on his last visit in 2008 (l. to Nadal). Federer has already lifted one title on German soil this season, winning his 77th career trophy last month at the Gerry Weber Open in Halle (d. Youzhny) to tie John McEnroe at No. 3 in the Open Era list of title winners. He enters at No. 5 in the Emirates ATP Ranking, ranked outside the Top 4 for the first time in a decade.
WEEK IN REVIEW
@TipsarevicJanko (Janko Tipsarevic)
So excited to go to #Bogota Always love going to places where I never was before
@ivokarlovic (Ivo Karlovic)
I overheard a lady walking behind be asking her friend 'is that Milos?' I said i know i look young but i dont think i look Canadian.
@ERogerVasselin (Edouard Roger-Vasselin)
New record : 1st match doubles on monday , next match on sunday !! #Newport #rain
@jamie_murray (Jamie Murray)
@andy_murray (Andy Murray)
Just got done with the dentist.. Back down to earth with a bang... #numb #dribble
@nmahut (Nicolas Mahut)
“@johnisnerfans: Why hello there @JohnIsner pic.twitter.com/mSJwlv9F5q”
What a nic pic !!! Haha dude :)
@DjokerNole (Novak Djokovic)
What a great event last night!So many generous people helped raise 1.2million for kids! I am so grateful and touched, thank you all!
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
Video Of The Week
From the Prime Minister to the Queen, everyone wants a piece of British hero Andy Murray.
In Case You Missed It…
Bastad: Argentine Carlos Berlocq becomes the ninth over-30 champion this season after capturing his first ATP World Tour title with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over eighth-seeded Spaniard Fernando Verdasco.
Berlocq: "It Was My Dream Week" | First-Time Winner Spotlight
Stuttgart: First-time ATP World Tour titlist Fabio Fognini takes home a white Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG, ‘Edition 1’ car after denying second-seeded German Philipp Kohlschreiber 5-7, 6-4, 6-4 at the MercedesCup.
Fognini: "This Gives Me A Lot Of Confidence" | First-Time Winner Spotlight
Newport: French wild card Nicolas Mahut comes back from the brink of defeat to defeat No. 4 seed Lleyton Hewitt 5-7, 7-5, 6-3 in a meeting between former finalists at the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships.
Mahut: "I Can't Believe It's True"
• Janko Tipsarevic, Santiago Giraldo and Alejandro Falla help celebrate the ATP World Tour’s return to Bogota, playing mini tennis from the highest point of the city. More...
• Cliff Drysdale, Charlie Pasarell and Ion Tiriac are inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame for their exceptional contribution to the sport of tennis. More...
• MercedesCup in Stuttgart celebrates its ground breaking ceremony with dignitaries like Boris Becker, marking the beginning of its transition to clay from grass. More...
• Juan Martin del Potro joins UNICEF Argentina on a visit to the Hogar Marquez de La Plata children’s home, creating some long-lasting memories. More...
• John Isner played tennis in the buff for ESPN The Magazine’s Body Issue, which annually celebrates the physique of athletes. More...
• Big-serving Croatian Ivo Karlovic recounts his battle with viral meningitis, and feels lucky just to be competing again. More...
• Andy Murray’s history-making victory over Novak Djokovic in the final of The Championships has become the most-watched program in Great Britain in the year-to-date. More...
• Malaysian Open organisers confirmed the participation of top ten players David Ferrer and Stanislas Wawrinka, as well as defending champion Juan Monaco. More...
• Novak Djokovic raises £1.2 million for disadvantaged youths at the Novak Djokovic Foundation’s star-studded inaugural London Gala dinner. More...
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign Up Here!
Think you have selected the winning ATP Draw Challenge bracket in Rome?
Track Your Picks!
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer Leads Hamburg Field
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Top Seed In Newport
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: The Big Four Fight For Grass Glory
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer, Gasquet Headline Grass Events
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Nadal Seeks 700th Win In Halle