BET-AT-HOME OPEN - GERMAN TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIPS 2013
Federer To Begin Hamburg Campaign Against Brands
by ATP Staff|
Roger Federer will begin his quest for a fifth title at the bet-at-home Open - German Tennis Championships against Daniel Brands in the second round. It will be their first FedEx ATP Head2Head meeting.
Brands converted three of his 10 break point opportunities to beat Paolo Lorenzi 7-5, 6-3 in 71 minutes.
Federer has a 29-4 record at the ATP World Tour 500 clay-court tournament. He won the title in 2002, 2004-05 and 2007. Two other former champions in the 48-man ATP World Tour 500 clay-court tournament field include 2012 winner Juan Monaco and 2006 victor Tommy Robredo.
Albert Montanes, one of 11 Spaniards in the main draw, beat 2009 runner-up Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-4, 6-4. Montanes won his sixth ATP World Tour title at the Open de Nice Côte d'Azur (d. Monfils) in May. He will next play ninth seed Benoit Paire.
Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut, a semi-finalist last week in Stuttgart, set up a meeting with No. 14 seed and Bastad runner-up Fernando Verdasco after dismissing German wild card Alexander Zverev 6-3, 6-2.
- Fognini Saves 3 M.P. In Hamburg For Second Title In As Many Weeks
- "Polish Power" Fight To Win Hamburg Doubles Crown
- Delbonis Eyes First Career Title; Fognini Seeks Second in Eight Days
- Federer: No Excuses, He Was Better
- Delbonis Stuns Federer, Faces Fognini For Title
- 'Polish Power' Reach Hamburg Final; Indian Team Win First Title in Bogota