WESTERN & SOUTHERN OPEN 2013
Lindstedt/Nestor Upset In Opener
by ATP Staff|
Sixth seeds Robert Lindstedt and Daniel Nestor bowed out in their opening match, Wednesday night at the Western & Southern Open, falling to Santiago Gonzalez and Scott Lipsky 7-6(3), 6-4. Lindstedt and Nestor had snapped the Bryans' 25-match winning streak last week in Montreal, before falling to Colin Fleming and Andy Murray in the semi-finals.
Third seeds Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares opened with a 6-4, 7-6(6) win over Max Mirnyi and Horia Tecau. The Austrian-Brazilian duo claimed their first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title at the Coupe Rogers (d. Fleming/Murray). They have captured four titles this season and are currently No. 2 in the Emirates ATP Doubles Team Rankings.
Second-seeded Spaniards Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez also advanced to the quarter-finals, after defeating Mardy Fish and Jurgen Melzer 7-5, 6-4. Meanwhile, eighth seeds Rohan Bopanna and Edouard Roger-Vasselin beat Andreas Seppi and Mikhail Youzhny 7-5, 6-3.
Two Polish duos won their first-round matches. Poles Mariusz Fyrstenberg and Marcin Matkowski clinched a 7-6(5), 6-4 win over Roland Garros finalists Michael Llodra and Nicolas Mahut, and next meet No. 5 seeds Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi and Jean-Julien Rojer.
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Dodig/Melo & Granollers/Lopez Qualify For Final Showdown