PLAYER NEWS 2013
Federer Makes A Fan's Wish Come True
by ATP Staff|
The 18-year-old Maryland native, who battled Hodgkin’s lymphoma for two years, made the whirlwind trip with her family across the Atlantic after receiving a surprise video invitation from her idol. She joined Federer on the practice courts and also received a personal tour of the All England Club from the Swiss.
“He told me I had been through a lot and hugged me really hard and I just started crying so so so much in his shoulder,” Beatriz shared. “He was like 'awnn'. Then when I let go of him I was still like sobbing and I turned to him and he was kinda tearing up.”
Federer told ESPN, “Many people have had their dreams but this one was nice because we could spend more time together. It wasn’t just a meet-and-greet. I could take her around and show her Wimbledon, play tennis with her, basically celebrate her birthday as well with her. Also meet her family, who [were] very sweet, so I personally enjoyed it very much and it seemed that she did too, which is nice.”
Their day at Wimbledon has been documented by ESPN for the ‘My Wish’ series (watch clip above), a collaboration with the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
ESPN: Tinoco Serves It Up With Federer
- The Best Of Monte-Carlo's Hot Shots
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Nadal Bids For Barcelona Defence; Dimitrov's First Time As Top Seed
- Wawrinka Beats Federer For First Masters 1000 Crown
- A First For Stan: How The Monte-Carlo Final Was Won
- Federer Sets All-Swiss Final
- Federer, Wawrinka Fight For Monte-Carlo Crown