WINSTON-SALEM OPEN 2013
Blake, Querrey Win Winston-Salem Openers
by ATP Staff|
“I’ve proven with that win last week that I can play with some of the best players in the world. It’s just a matter of stringing those together,” he said.
The former World No. 4, who is currently No. 100 in the Emirates ATP Rankings, will go for his 10th match win of the season when he next faces fifth-seeded Frenchman Benoit Paire.
In other all-American first-round matches, qualifier Steve Johnson cruised past Bobby Reynolds 6-1, 6-2 to set a meeting with second-seeded Italian Andreas Seppi. Meanwhile, Tim Smyczek edged Michael Russell 6-4, 6-7(6), 6-4 in two hours and 12 minutes. He will next face No. 7 seed Fernando Verdasco.
Sixth seed Sam Querrey battled for a win in his second-round opener, needing more than two hours to prevail against Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 4-6, 6-3, 6-4. He capitalised on three of his 11 break points, while saving seven of the nine faced.
Nestor Closes In On Milestone
Daniel Nestor recorded his 899th career doubles win on Monday, teaming up with Leander Paes for a 6-1, 3-6, 10-2 victory over Austrians Julian Knowle and Jurgen Melzer. Nestor and Paes, both 40 and winners of a combined 131 doubles titles, are playing together for just the second time. In 1994, they lost in the first round at the Queen's Club.
Isner, Berdych Forced To Withdraw
Two-time defending champion John Isner and top seed Tomas Berdych, the 2012 finalist, both announced their withdrawals Monday, respectively citing hip and shoulder injuries.
“It is really unfortunate I have to withdraw from the Winston-Salem Open, one of my favourite tournaments of the year,” said Isner. “I’ve had so much success playing in front of great crowds as well as my friends and family. This was a really tough decision but with injuries taking me out of the Australian Open and Wimbledon, I need to fully heal prior to the US Open.”