WINSTON-SALEM OPEN 2013
Querrey Saves 5 M.P. To Beat Nieminen
by ATP Staff|
Sixth seed Sam Querrey saved five match points on Wednesday as he battled past Jarkko Nieminen to reach the quarter-finals of the Winston-Salem Open. The American prevailed 4-6, 7-6(4), 7-6(10) after two hours and 10 minutes.
“I’m really proud of myself to have pulled through it,” said Querrey, who hit 19 aces and saved three of four break points. “It feels good. I felt better in this match than the first one and tomorrow I’m hoping I’ll feel even better.”
Querrey trailed 3-6 in the deciding tie-break before clinching victory on his third match point. This is the second time this summer that he has fought off multiple match points, having saved four in his Washington opener against Denis Istomin.
The World No. 29 is through to his fourth quarter-final of the season and will face Ricardas Berankis, who dismissed Roberto Bautista Agut 6-3, 6-3 in 75 minutes. Querrey defeated Berankis in the Los Angeles final last year to win his seventh ATP World Tour title.
Two former World No. 7s, Gael Monfils and Fernando Verdasco, will go head-to-head for a place in the semi-finals. Monfils has won their previous two matches, but this will be their first meeting since 2010.
“He’s in good shape. It’s always tough to play him,” said the Frenchman. “He’s a very, very good striker. He has a huge forehand, so it’s going to be very interesting. It’s been a while since I’ve played him.”
Monfils, the No. 15 seed, fought past fourth-seeded Spaniard Tommy Robredo 7-6(2), 4-6, 6-2 in two hours and 18 minutes. Seventh seed Verdasco needed five minutes less to beat Dutchman Robin Haase 6-4, 6-7(8), 6-3.
Russian Dmitry Tursunov, the No. 13 seed, kept up his recent run of form, defeating countryman Alex Bogomolov Jr. 6-3, 7-5 to reach the quarter-finals for a third straight tournament. He was a semi-finalist in Washington (l. to Isner), and reached the quarter-finals in Cincinnati as a qualifier, upsetting World No. 4 David Ferrer before losing to Juan Martin del Potro.
Tenth-seeded Ukrainian Alexandr Dolgopolov closed out a 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 win over No. 8 seed Juan Monaco, and next meets Chinese Taipei’s Yen-Hsun Lu. The 30-year-old Lu recorded his 100th tour-level victory as he defeated American qualifier Steve Johnson 6-3, 6-2. “I’m happy the way I played today, and it’s positive,” said Lu. “I hope tomorrow will be another good match.”
Fish Withdraws From US Open
American Mardy Fish announced his withdrawal from the US Open, citing health issues. He wrote on Twitter, “Friends, unfortunately my health won't allow me to compete this year at the US Open. Thank you for all your support.”
Fish notched his 300th match win this week in Winston-Salem with his victory over Evgeny Donskoy in the first round, but retired unwell from his match against Jarkko Nieminen. He has played in only five tour-level events since last year's US Open, having been sidelined with heart issues.
- Querrey Completes California Sweep With Tiburon Title
- Goffin Bumps Challenger Win Streak To 20 With Mons Title
- Estrella Burgos Saves Match Point In Longest Final Of Year
- Tsonga, Monfils Headline Metz Draw As Emirates ATP Race To London Continues
- Stars Align For Cilic; Focus Turns To Davis Cup
- Isner To Play Kohlschreiber Again; Joins Querrey, Tsonga, Nishikori In Third Round