US OPEN 2013
Statistical Preview: Murray Vs. Wawrinka
New York, U.S.A.
by ATP Staff|
IBM provides a statistical preview of Thursday’s US Open quarter-final between Andy Murray and Stanislas Wawrinka.
Match-up: Murray leads the FedEx ATP Head2Head 8-5 and based on the way they've played here so far this could be a really good battle. Both players are serving well, with Murray showing a slight edge returning second serves.
Both have penetrating forehands and solid backhands from the backcourt. Wawrinka's return numbers are a bit down, but he's faced some very big servers including Ivo Karlovic and Tomas Berdych. Both guys are physical, powerful all court players. Murray is a great defensive player, so it will put pressure on Wawrinka to be more aggressive and that could lead to a few more errors.
Buy Tickets | TV Schedule
• Very solid serving – 77 per cent won on first serves – 64 per cent won on second serves - broken only four times in 14 sets
• Consistent play - averaging just over six unforced errors per set
• His forehand is his weapon off the ground (49 winners to just 31 forehand unforced errors)
• His first serve has been very effective - 41 aces, 78 per cent first serve won, solid second serves – 58 per cent second serve points won
• His forehand is his weapon from the backcourt (49 winners) but also has been a bit erratic at times (51 forehand unforced errors), and he's won less than half his baseline points.
|Andy Murray||Stanislas Wawrinka|
|59%||1st Serve %||55%|
|77%||1st Serve Points||78%|
|64%||2nd Serve Points||58%|
|17||Break Points Faced||24|
|94%||Service Games Held||87%|
|77%||Returns In Play||72%|
|35%||1st Return Points Won||30%|
|55%||2nd Return Points Won||51%|
|21||Breaks Of Serve||20|
|64||Return Games Played||69|
|33%||Return Games Won %||29%|
|31||Forehand Unforced Errors||51|
|41||Backhand Unforced Errors||49|
|76 of 102||Net Points Won||72 of 99|
|75%||Net Points Won %||73%|
|52%||Baseline Points Won||49%|
|09:25||Time On Court||10:57|