CORONA ATP WEEKLY SLICE 2013
Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Nadal Rolls In The Big Apple
by ATP Staff|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona ATP Weekly Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Serbia vs. Canada (Indoor Clay): Led by top-ranked Novak Djokovic, the Serbian outfit enter this semi-final tie on home soil looking to rediscover the magic from their 2010 title run. The No. 4 seeds ousted the United States in the quarter-finals, in April, behind a strong performance by Djokovic. They now face an equally tough task against big-serving Milos Raonic and Canada, who are playing in their first Davis Cup semi-final. The Canadians posted a signature win over a depleted top-seeded Spanish side in the opening round.
Team Serbia: Novak Djokovic, Janko Tipsarevic, Dusan Lajovic, Nenad Zimonjic
Team Canada: Milos Raonic, Vasek Pospisil, Frank Dancevic, Daniel Nestor
Argentina vs. Czech Republic (Indoor Hard): The defending champion Czech squad will look to stamp their return ticket to the Davis Cup Final when they face Argentina in the semi-finals for the second consecutive year. This year, the Argentines will be without the services of Juan Martin del Potro and David Nalbandian. World No. 5 Tomas Berdych is 12-4 in hard court rubbers for Czech Republic and was the key to their victory in last year's meeting, winning both singles rubbers and partnering with Radek Stepanek for a doubles victory.
Team Argentina: Juan Monaco, Carlos Berlocq, Horacio Zeballos and Leonardo Mayer
Team Czech Republic: Tomas Berdych, Radek Stepanek, Lukas Rosol and Jiri Vesely
Player To Watch: Rafael Nadal
The World No. 2 is in the midst of one of the best seasons of his career and will look to ride the momentum of his US Open triumph when Spain battles Ukraine in a World Group Play-off tie. The tie will be contested on outdoor clay at the Caja Magica in Madrid, the site of Nadal's Mutua Madrid Open victory earlier in the year, one of five ATP World Tour Masters 1000 titles he has amassed in 2013. Nadal will be joined by former Top 10 talents Tommy Robredo and Fernando Verdasco on the Spanish roster. The Mallorca native is 20-1 in Davis Cup singles rubbers in his career with his most recent appearance coming in the 2011 Final against Argentina.
WEEK IN REVIEW
Players Congratulate Nadal
@MariaSharapova (Maria Sharapova)
What an amazing year for @RafaelNadal !! Big congratulations! @usopen #NewYorkCity
@LDavenport76 (Lindsay Davenport)
How amazing is Rafa??? I didn't realize until @thetracyaustin told me...Rafa is only 1 slam away from tying Sampras in GS titles won. Wow
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
In Case You Missed It…
US Open: Second seed Rafael Nadal clinched his 13th Grand Slam title with a 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 victory over World No. 1 Novak Djokovic in the US Open Final. It was Nadal's second US Open crown and 10th title of the year as he improved his undefeated hard court record in 2013 to 22-0.
Nadal Defeats Djokovic | How The Final Was Won
• Andy Murray becomes the third player to qualify for the 2013 Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. More
• Leander Paes & Radek Stepanek clinch the US Open doubles title. More
• Mario Ancic reflects on his tennis career and life in law school. More
• Stanislas Wawrinka takes positives from semi-final run in New York. More
• Max Mirnyi wins 10th Grand Slam title, in the mixed doubles competition. More
• Andy Murray wins a GQ award. More
• The ATP World Tour was born in a parking lot More
• A retiring James Blake looks forward to golfing, changing diapers. More
• Nicolas Massu retires from professional tennis after 17 years. More
• Delray Beach to welcome back Andy Roddick. More
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign Up Here!
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Berdych Goes To Washington
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner, Youzhny, Fognini Headline
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer Leads Hamburg Field
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Top Seed In Newport
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: The Big Four Fight For Grass Glory
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Ferrer, Gasquet Headline Grass Events