CORONA ATP WEEKLY SLICE 2013
Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Tsonga Resumes London Bid In Metz
by ATP Staff|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona ATP Weekly Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who's Playing This Week?
There are two ATP World Tour 250 indoor hard-court events in Metz and St. Petersburg.
Moselle Open: The 10th edition of the Moselle Open is led by a pair of Frenchmen: two-time defending champion Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and 2010 titlist Gilles Simon, who both make their return to the tour after missing the US Open. The field also includes three former finalists: third-seeded Italian Andreas Seppi (2012), fourth-seeded German Philipp Kohlschreiber (2009) and Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu (2008).
Facebook | Twitter | Website
St. Petersburg Open: Second-seeded Russian Mikhail Youzhny makes his 13th straight tournament appearance and looks to reclaim the title he won in 2004. Italian Fabio Fognini, the top seed, looks to go one better this year after a runner-up finish to Slovakian Martin Klizan, who returns to defend his crown. Third seed Janko Tipsarevic and fifth seed Fernando Verdasco are also former finalists.
Facebook | Website
Potential Milestones (Career match wins as of 16 September 2013)
Metz - Singles
Gilles Simon - 295 wins
Metz - Doubles
Jonathan Erlich - 299 wins
St. Petersburg - Doubles
Dmitry Tursunov - 97 wins
Janko Tipsarevic 29 (+3 spots)
Daniel Gimeno-Traver 61 (+11 spots)
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 66 (+4 spots)
Aljaz Bedene 75 (+21 spots)
Tobias Kamke 76 (+18 spots)
17 September - Tomas Berdych (28)
18 September - Yuichi Sugita (25)
19 September - Thiemo de Bakker (25)
23 September - Juan Martin del Potro (25)
Player To Watch: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga makes his first appearance since retiring in his second round match at Wimbledon on June 26 with a left knee injury. The 28 year old, who is chasing his third straight Moselle Open title this week, will be looking to gain ground in the Emirates ATP Race To London after dropping two spots to No. 10 last week behind US Open semi-finalists Stanislas Wawrinka and Richard Gasquet. Tsonga has a 30-11 season record and claimed the indoor hard-court title in February at Marseille.
How To Watch
Follow action in Metz (Blackout applies in France, USA and Russia) starting 17 September and St. Petersburg (Blackout applies in Russia) starting 20 September.
Watch Live Powered By TennisTV | TV Schedule
WEEK IN REVIEW
@tomasberdych (Tomas Berdych)
@TipsarevicJanko @DjokerNole congrats and see you guys in #DavisCupfinal
@TursunovTales (Dmitry Tursunov)
Nice cake, no? @ Grand Hotel Europe / Гранд Отель Европа http://instagram.com/p/eSyABKHJV7/
@andy_murray (Andy Murray)
This is @kyle8edmund before his rookie speech tonight... Tight as a drum pic.twitter.com/NfzyG1wulm
Video Of The Week
ATP World Tour Uncovered looks at the Race To London.
In Case You Missed It…
Davis Cup: Novak Djokovic and Janko Tipsarevic complete 2010 champion Serbia's comeback over Canada to set a final clash with defending champion Czech Republic.
Serbia Fights Back | Czechs Return To Final
• Andy Murray, playing his first tie in two years, sends Great Britain into the 2014 Davis Cup World Group. More
• Roger Federer will play doubles with China's No. 1 Ze Zhang at the Shanghai Rolex Masters. More
• Rafael Nadal is 'Mr. Popularity' in a new ESPN SportsCenter ad. More
• The Novak Djokovic Foundation raises $2.5 million for early childhood education at its second annual New York gala dinner. More
• Kevin Anderson visits the Springboks rugby team in Auckland. More
• James Blake helps raise money for charity at Cantor Fitzgerald's annual 9/11 fundraising event. More
• Christian Harrison features in Emirates ATP Rankings - Stars of Tomorrow. More
• We look at the 2013 ATP World Tour season by the numbers:
Part I: Nadal Takes Spain To The Top
Part II: Tsonga Back From The Brink
Part III: Rafa's Supremacy, Emirates ATP Rankings Risers
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign Up Here!
- Nadal Seeks First Miami Title; Tsonga, del Potro Return
- Davis Cup Aftermath; Indian Wells Anticipation
- Re-Live Thrilling Week Of Milestones; Players Shift Focus To Davis Cup
- Federer, Djokovic Return to Action; Dimitrov Defends In Acapulco
- Rafa Returns In Rio; Raonic, Wawrinka Headline Marseille
- Murray, Wawrinka Back in Action; Nishikori Attempts Three-peat