PLAYER NEWS 2013
Murray To Undergo Minor Back Surgery
by ATP Staff|
Andy Murray will have surgery on his back next Monday, causing him to sit out the upcoming Asian swing.
“Next week Andy is set to undergo minor back surgery in an effort to clear up a long-standing back problem,” said a statement from Murray’s management team. “He will definitely miss tournaments in Bangkok, Tokyo and Shanghai.
“The problem flared up during the Italian Open this year when Andy was forced to retire and he sought advice from a range of specialists. After recently playing on hard courts and clay Andy once again sought medical advice about solving the issue once and for all. The aim is to be fully fit for the new season.”
The World No. 3 had missed Roland Garros earlier this year due to a lower back injury, but returned to capture titles at The Queen’s Club and Wimbledon.
Murray won both of his matches against Croatia in Davis Cup action over the weekend to lead Great Britain back into the World Group, and tweeted Thursday: “Thanks so much for all the nice messages today... Having operation on monday.. Will let everyone know how it goes.. Ill be ‘back’ stronger”.
- Djokovic-Murray On US Open QF Collision Course; Ferrer In Federer's Half
- Murray Soaks Gimelstob In #IceBucketChallenge
- Murray Challenges Coach Mauresmo To Foosball
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Isner Top Seed In Newport
- Murray Vows To Work Harder To Say Ahead Of Young Guns
- Brain Game: Murray Dominates With Service Return