PLAYER NEWS 2013
Murray To Undergo Minor Back Surgery
by ATP Staff|
Andy Murray will have surgery on his back next Monday, causing him to sit out the upcoming Asian swing.
“Next week Andy is set to undergo minor back surgery in an effort to clear up a long-standing back problem,” said a statement from Murray’s management team. “He will definitely miss tournaments in Bangkok, Tokyo and Shanghai.
“The problem flared up during the Italian Open this year when Andy was forced to retire and he sought advice from a range of specialists. After recently playing on hard courts and clay Andy once again sought medical advice about solving the issue once and for all. The aim is to be fully fit for the new season.”
The World No. 3 had missed Roland Garros earlier this year due to a lower back injury, but returned to capture titles at The Queen’s Club and Wimbledon.
Murray won both of his matches against Croatia in Davis Cup action over the weekend to lead Great Britain back into the World Group, and tweeted Thursday: “Thanks so much for all the nice messages today... Having operation on monday.. Will let everyone know how it goes.. Ill be ‘back’ stronger”.
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Clay Season Under Way With Houston, Casablanca
- Fognini Inspires Italy To Victory
- Czech Republic Reaches Davis Cup SFs; Great Britain Closes On Historic Victory
- Murray Leads Britain's Davis Cup Bid
- Murray Gets In April Fools' Day Spirit
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Federer, Wawrinka, Murray Play Davis Cup