CORONA ATP WEEKLY SLICE 2013
Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Asian Swing Gets Underway
by ATP Staff|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona ATP Weekly Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who's Playing This Week?
The three-week Asian swing begins with two ATP World Tour 250 indoor hard-court tournaments in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.
Thailand Open: The 11th edition of the Thailand Open is led by three players looking to boost their bid to qualify for the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Tomas Berdych, Richard Gasquet and Milos Raonic are all looking to collect valuable points in the Emirates ATP Race To London, with five spots still up for grabs in the elite eight-man field at The O2. Gasquet is the defending champion in Bangkok, having beaten Gilles Simon in an all-French final last year.
Facebook | Twitter | Website
Malaysian Open: David Ferrer and Stanislas Wawrinka headline the fifth edition of the Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur, looking to pick up important points in the battle to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. Ferrer is a two-time semi-finalist at this event, while Wawrinka, coming off his first Grand Slam semi-final in New York, is set to make his debut.
Facebook | Twitter | Website
Kuala Lumpur - Doubles
Paul Hanley - 446 wins
Dmitry Tursunov - 99 wins
Gilles Simon 17 (+3 spots)
Ernests Gulbis 23 (+7 spots)
Dmitry Tursunov 33 (+5 spots)
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 53 (+13 spots)
23 September - Marcelo Melo (30)
23 September - Juan Martin del Potro (25)
26 September - Frank Dancevic (29)
Player To Watch: Richard Gasquet
Hot on the heels from his US Open semi-final appearance, Richard Gasquet looks to retain his Thailand Open crown and, in the process, boost his chances of qualifying for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals. The Frenchman is looking to win his third ATP World Tour title of the season, following victories in Doha and Montpellier.
How To Watch
Follow action in Bangkok (Blackout applies in Thailand, USA and Russia) starting 23 September and Kuala Lumpur (Blackout applies in Malaysia) starting 27 September.
Watch Live Powered By TennisTV | TV Schedule
WEEK IN REVIEW
@milosraonic (Milos Raonic)
Last nights dinner on the beach in San Remo because we didn't want to wait for a table! @sirola11 @ozonjuan pic.twitter.com/myFbjcIGfh
@tomasberdych (Tomas Berdych)
Touch down in Bangkok..great to back!! pic.twitter.com/vnVbg7EYGp
@andy_murray (Andy Murray)
Thanks so much for all the nice messages today... Having operation on monday.. Will let everyone know how it goes.. Ill be "back" stronger
@jojomelzer (Jurgen Melzer)
Today with @marcosbaghdatis at the batu caves!what a nice place!thanx to @KLOpenTennis for bringing us there! pic.twitter.com/A7m8Tz0uec
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
Video Of The Week
It's been called "one of the biggest miracles" by another former World No. 1, but what does Uncle Toni make of Rafael Nadal's remarkable comeback? ATP World Tour Uncovered finds out.
In Case You Missed It…
Metz: Gilles Simon capped an unforgettable week in Metz, upsetting Jo-Wilfried Tsonga for a second Moselle Open title, 6-4, 6-3, a mere 13 days after celebrating the birth of his second son, Valentin.
Simon: “It’s a beautiful story for sure.”
St. Petersburg: Ernests Gulbis reeled off the final 11 games to complete a 3-6, 6-4, 6-0 comeback win over Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the St. Petersburg Open final.
Gulbis: “I’ve never lost in a final. I’m proud of that record.”
• No. 4 seed Jurgen Melzer and 2011 Malaysian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis take time out to visit the Batu Caves. More
• Johan Brunstrom and Raven Klaasen hand Jo-Wilfried Tsonga his second defeat on Sunday at the Moselle Open, ousting the French duo of Tsonga and Nicolas Mahut 6-4, 7-6(5) in the doubles final. More
• Top seeds David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco boost their chances of qualifying for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals for the first time as they win their first ATP World Tour title of the season together in St. Petersburg. More
• Andy Murray will have surgery on his back on Monday, causing him to sit out the Asian swing. More
• Mikhail Youzhny and his three-year-old son Maxim enjoy a cookery lesson together at the Grand Hotel Europe in St. Petersburg. More
• The draw for the 2014 Davis Cup World Group is set. More
• Rafael Nadal will be in Rio de Janeiro from 15-23 February to play South American’s biggest tennis event, the inaugural Rio Open. More
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign Up Here!
- Players Descend On Melbourne For The Year's First Slam
- Down Under Action Continues In Sydney, Auckland; Delpo Returns
- Eight Of Top 10 In Action As 2015 Season Begins
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: London At Last
- Djokovic, Federer Continue Fight For Year-End No. 1; London Berths Up For Grabs
- Federer, Nadal Headline In Basel; Ferrer Leads Valencia Field