SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS 2013
Mayer Beats Chinese Hope Wu
by ATP Staff|
World No. 41 Florian Mayer upset Chinese wild card Di Wu on Sunday at the Shanghai Rolex Masters, winning their first-round contest 6-3, 6-3 in 68 minutes. The German won 71 per cent of his service points and broke serve three times to claim his 27th win of the season.
Lukas Rosol and Carlos Berlocq both joined Mayer in the second round with three-set wins. Rosol battled past Julien Benneteau 6-3, 1-6, 6-3 in one hour and 35 minutes, while Berlocq edged Dmitry Tursunov 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 in just over two hours.
Rosol goes on to face third seed David Ferrer, while Berlocq will challenge either No. 14 seed John Isner or a qualifier.
Meanwhile, Pablo Andujar advanced to the second round after World No. 20 Mikhail Youzhny retired down 2-5 in the first set with a stomach ailment. Andujar will face seventh seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the second round.
Qualifying action concluded on Sunday, with Alejandro Falla, Go Soeda, Michal Przysiezny, Paolo Lorenzi, Santiago Giraldo, Tatsuma Ito and Michael Russell earning main draw berths.
- Brain Game: Novak Keeps On The Offense
- Djokovic Retains Shanghai Crown; Lifts 15th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Trophy
- Djokovic "Feels The Love" In Shanghai
- Del Potro: "I Think I'm Playing Even Better Than 2009"
- Dodig/Melo Win Shanghai Doubles Title; Improve London Qualification Chances
- Nadal Praises del Potro After Defeat