SHANGHAI ROLEX MASTERS 2013
Dodig/Melo To Face Spaniards In Final
by ATP Staff|
Fifth seeds Ivan Dodig and Marcelo Melo earned a key win in their bid to qualify for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals on Saturday, beating top seeds Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan 6-7(5), 7-5, 10-7 in the semi-finals of the Shanghai Rolex Masters.
The Croatian/Brazilian duo are sixth in the Emirates ATP Doubles Team Rankings, with the Top 8 teams at the end of the regular season qualifying for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London next month. They would earn 1000 ranking points by winning the Shanghai title.
Dodig and Melo are bidding for their first team title this week. They finished runners-up to the Bryans in the Wimbledon final and also reached the US Open semi-finals (l. to Peya/Soares).
In the final, Dodig and Melo will face Spaniards David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco. Marrero and Verdasco beat fellow London contenders Jamie Murray and John Peers 7-6(4), 7-6(9) in one hour and 32 minutes, withstanding 11 aces and saving two of three break points.
Marrero and Verdasco are looking to qualify for the season finale for the first time and are currently seventh in the standings. The Australian Open and Roland Garros quarter-finalists are chasing their second ATP World Tour team title of the season after victory at the St. Petersburg Open (d. Inglot/Istomin).
- Dodig/Melo Qualify For SFs From Group A; Bryans Stay Alive
- Fyrstenberg/Matkowski Clinch Last Final Showdown Spot
- Mirnyi/Tecau Edge Closer To London Qualification With Paris SF Spot
- Marrero/Verdasco & Qureshi/Rojer Qualify For Barclays ATP World Tour Finals
- Most Improved Player Of The Year Nominees
- London Bids End For Murray/Peers & Huey/Inglot In Paris Openers