ERSTE BANK OPEN 2013
Rosol, Mergea Win First Title in Vienna
by ATP Staff|
The unseeded team of Florin Mergea and Lukas Rosol won their first ATP World Tour title after ousting third seeds Julian Knowle and Daniel Nestor 7-5, 6-4 in the Erste Bank Open final on Sunday.
In their Vienna debut, the Romanian Mergea and Czech Rosol needed 70 minutes to secure the Vienna trophy. The team also upset top seeds Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares in the quarter-finals.
“It was a great week for me,” said Rosol. “I’m really happy with this win. I always enjoy playing in Vienna. Florin and I will play more tournaments together in 2014.”
Rosol and Mergea have played four other tournaments this year, reaching the semi-finals in Gstaad (l. to Andujar/Garcia-Lopez) and the quarter-finals in Stuttgart (l. to Brown/Hanley).
“Two weeks ago I wanted to stop my season and now we are here,” said Mergea. “That’s great and I’m very happy.” Mergea also partnered with Oliver Marach to win the ATP Challenger Tour event in Rennes, France this year.
- Rosol Saves 2 M.P. To Win Winston-Salem Crown
- First Titles For Cermak/Rosol, Begemann/Haase
- Draganja/Mergea Cap Giant-Killing Run In Hamburg
- Bautista Agut Wins Second Title In Four Weeks In Stuttgart
- Bautista Agut Beats Fognini In Stuttgart; Plays Rosol For Title
- Nadal Battles Past 2012 Conqueror Rosol For Wimbledon Third Round Berth