SWISS INDOORS BASEL 2013
Baghdatis, Nishikori Advance In Basel
by ATP Staff|
The Cypriot, who reached the final at this ATP World Tour 500 tournament on his 2005 debut (l. to Gonzalez), converted three of his 10 break points for victory in one hour and 32 minutes.
Baghdatis set a potential second-round clash with top seed Juan Martin del Potro. The Argentine faces wild card Henri Laaksonen in his first-round match. Baghdatis is bidding to reach his fourth quarter-final of the season and finish 2013 in good form, having endured 14 first-round losses.
"He played much better in the second set," said Nishikori. "He was a little aggressive, trying to come to the net and I was feeling more pressure. I'm really happy to finish in two sets."
The Japanese No. 1 recorded one of the biggest wins of his career two years ago in Basel when he defeated then-World No. 1 Novak Djokovic to reach the final (l. to Federer).
Denis Istomin will face five-time former champion Roger Federer in the second round after defeating Horacio Zeballos 7-5, 7-6(3) in one hour and 47 minutes. The Uzbekistani will look to overturn a 0-4 FedEx ATP Head2Head record against Federer as he bids to reach his seventh ATP World Tour quarter-final of the season.
- Del Potro Retains Basel Title; Federer's London Qualification Bid Continues
- Huey/Inglot Win Second ATP World Tour Team Title At Basel
- Del Potro To Face Federer In Repeat Of 2012 Basel Final
- Federer Focuses On London Bid
- Federer Closes In On Final Showdown; Del Potro Claims 300th Match Win
- Del Potro To Face Mathieu In Basel QFs; Pospisil Beats Karlovic