STATOIL MASTERS TENNIS
Ferreira Favour For McEnroe
A win for Wayne Ferreira over Sergi Bruguera guaranteed John McEnroe will contest the Legends final at the Statoil Masters Tennis against Mats Wilander on Sunday.
Ferreira, who lost to McEnroe in straight sets on Thursday, defeated Bruguera 6-4, 6-4, meaning McEnroe tops Group A on sets won.
"When I last saw Wayne last night I wasn’t liking the look of his chances so I’m pleased he’s pulled that one out of the bag today," said McEnroe. "I definitely owe Wayne dinner tonight that’s for sure."
Looking ahead to the final against seven-time Grand Slam champion Wilander, McEnroe commented, “He’s probably seen everything I’ve got. I don’t think we have any secrets from one another so that should make for a good match.”
Thomas Enqvist made the most of his opportunity to fill in and play at the Statoil Masters Tennis on Saturday afternoon. The Swede was victorious over Fabrice Santoro, leading 7-6(6), 2-3 when the Frenchman was forced to retire.
Santoro would have contested Sunday’s final, but, due to his injury, was forced to retire from the tournament and Tim Henman will take his place, having come second in the group.
- Gonzalez Outguns Roddick To Take Title
- Roddick Made Honorary Wimbledon Member; Faces Gonzalez For Title
- Roddick Rocks Royal Albert Hall
- Gonzalez Makes ATP Champions Tour Debut; Roddick's Return Creates Buzz
- Henman Scrapes Past Enqvist On Day One; Roddick Arrives
- Roddick Prepares For Royal Albert Hall Bow