PLAYER NEWS 2013
Murray's Wimbledon Win 'Most Talked-About' On Facebook
by ATP Staff|
Andy Murray’s historic Wimbledon victory was the most talked-about subject of 2013 among British Facebook users, outshining the birth of a future King, the appointment of a new Pope and the passing of an iconic Prime Minister.
Murray’s three-set win over Novak Djokovic ended Great Britain’s 77-year wait for a male Grand Slam Champion and captivated the nation. The Scot appeared on the front page of every major British newspaper following the feat and sparked social media conversations that eclipsed even the passing of prime minister Margaret Thatcher and the birth of Prince George.
The current world No. 4 has not played since September, winning both his singles rubbers in a Davis Cup tie against Croatia before undergoing back surgery. The 26-year-old has been keeping busy with rehab and promoting the release of his memoir "Andy Murray: Seventy-seven: My Road to Wimbledon Glory".
Murray hopes for a return to the ATP World Tour in time for next month’s Australian Open. “I want to come back when I’m 100 per cent fit,” he told ATPWorldTour.com in October.
Here is the summary of most talked-about topics as published by Facebook:
Most Talked-About Topics In The United Kingdom: 1. Andy Murray wins the Wimbledon Championships
2. Baroness Margaret Thatcher passes away
3. Bayern Munich & Borussia Dortmund contest the UEFA Champions League Final at Wembley Stadium
4. The Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to Prince George
5. Sir Alex Ferguson steps down as manager of Manchester United
6. Call of Duty: Ghosts released on X-Box 360 and PS3
7. England retain the Ashes in cricket
8. The X-Factor returns to UK screens
9. The ‘Bedroom Tax’ is introduced in the UK
10. Grand Theft Auto 5 released on X-Box 360 and PS3
Most Talked-About Topics Globally 1. Pope Francis
3. Royal Baby
5. Margaret Thatcher
6. Harlem Shake
7. Miley Cyrus
8. Boston Marathon
9. Tour de France
10. Nelson Mandela