PLAYER NEWS 2013
Robredo Named APT Spanish Player Of The Year
by ATP Staff|
Tommy Robredo has been presented the Player of the Year award by the Spanish Tennis Writers Association (APT) at a ceremony in Barcelona.
In 2013, Robredo overcame two years of injury woes to finish at No. 18 of the Emirates ATP Rankings. He lifted two ATP World Tour titles at the Grand Prix Hassan II (d. Anderson) and the Vegeta Croatia Open Umag (d. Fognini).
At Roland Garros, he became just the second man (Henri Cochet at 1927 Wimbledon) to come back from 0-2 sets down in three consecutive Grand Slam Matches en route to the quarter-finals (l. to Ferrer). At the US Open, he snapped a 10-match losing streak against Roger Federer in the fourth round.
Pablo Carreno Busta received the Most Improved Player award, after he made the biggest jump (651 spots) into the Top 100 from the previous year (715 to 64). He recorded 39 straight wins in 77 days at ITF Futures events, including seven titles from eight finals. He was also voted the Most Improved Player of the Year in the 2013 ATP World Tour Awards presented by Moët & Chandon.
- Robredo Ends Djokovic's Career Golden Masters Bid
- Robredo Beats Sock In Cincy Opener
- Cuevas Topples Robredo For Umag Crown
- Robredo Aims To Retain Umag Crown; Cuevas Tops Fognini, Advances To Final
- Nadal Wins ESPY For Best Male Tennis Player
- Challenger Weekly Spotlight: Kavcic and Carreno Busta Go Back To Back