BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL 2014
Nieminen Sets Up Federer Clash In Brisbane; Dimitrov Advances
by ATP Staff|
Nieminen will look to record his first win in 14 FedEx ATP Head2Head meetings against Federer, who is making his debut at the ATP World Tour 250 hard-court tournament. Nieminen beat wild card James Duckworth 6-2, 6-3.
Fifth seed Grigor Dimitrov set up a second round clash against Marin Cilic after a 6-2, 6-3 win over Robin Haase in 59 minutes. “I was happy the way I was serving on the important occasions in every game,” said Dimitrov. “I thought I moved quite well on the court. I enjoyed the match.”
Cilic edged Denis Istomin 6-7(3), 7-6(5), 6-4 in two hours and 22 minutes. Looking ahead to the clash, Dimitrov said, “Marin is a very dangerous player, and he's definitely capable of doing a lot of damage.”
The first ATP World Tour main draw match of 2014 became a milestone for its victor, Marinko Matosevic, after the 28-year-old Australian notched his first main draw win on home soil. He outlasted Julien Benneteau 5-7, 6-4, 7-6(4) over two hours and 41 minutes in punishing conditions.
“The main thing is the relief,” said Matosevic. “I felt like I should have won in straight sets, [but] I didn't. Then, I almost blew it in the third and I held on. I’m very happy to win.”
Fourth Seeds Upset Aussies To Reach QFs
- Monfils Denies Dimitrov To Reach QFs
- Federer, Berdych, Dimitrov Play Tuesday For US Open QF Berths
- Dimitrov Sails Into Third Round; Joins Fellow Finals Contender Ferrer
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Chases Career Golden Masters
- Kermode Presents Top 10 Trophies In Toronto
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Headlines Toronto Field