AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2014
Nadal vs. Dimitrov Preview Analysis
World No. 1 Rafael Nadal will have his return game tested when he meets Grigor Dimitrov in the Australian Open quarter-finals, the fourth battle in their Fedex ATP Head2Head series.
The 27-year-old Nadal has won all three previous meetings in tough three-set battles, but Dimitrov has been serving up a storm in Melbourne, winning 86 percent of first-serve points. The challenge for Dimitrov will be to maintain his aggressive style - without making mistakes.
Dimitrov's serving performance will be critical as Nadal's return game is one of the best. Both players have dropped serve just four times in four rounds. Dimitrov will look to improve his return of serve statistics against the World No. 1. The Bulgarian has won just 44 percent of return points on second serve, compared to Nadal's 62 percent.
For additional insight, visit www.ibm.com/sports.
• "70-70 Club" on serve: 70% 1st serves in play; 77% 1st serve points won; has saved 79% (15 of 19) of break points faced
• Dominant return game: 77% hit back in play; 36% won returning 1st serves; 62% won returning 2nd serves; 17 breaks of serve in 10 sets played
• Big forehand weapon: 51 forehand winners
• Dominant serving: 55 aces; 86% 1st serve points won; 59% 2nd serve points won; held 69 of 73 service games
• Return game has not been as strong: winning 32% returning 1st serves; winning just 44% returning 2nd serves; only 15 breaks in 74 return games played
|Rafael Nadal (1)||Grigor Dimitrov (22)|
|70%||1st Serve %||59%|
|77%||1st Serve Points||86%|
|56%||2nd Serve Points||59%|
|19||Break Points Faced||12|
|92%||Service Games Held||95%|
|205 kmh / 127 mph||Broken||219 kmh / 136 mph|
|77%||Returns in Play||64%*|
|36%||1st Return Points Won||32%|
|62%||2nd Return Points Won||44%|
|17||Breaks of Serve||15|
|48||Return Games Played||74|
|35%||Return Games Won %||20%|
|39||Forehand Unforced Errors||42*|
|24||Backhand Unforced Errors||24*|
|35 of 51||Net Points Won||40 of 59*|
|69%||Net Points Won||68%|
|55%||Baseline Points Won||56%|
|7:55||Time on Court||9:38|
* Detailed statistics available for 3 of 4 Dimitrov matches