CORONA ATP WEEKLY SLICE 2014
Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Wawrinka's Momentous Victory, Davis Cup Ahead
by ATP Staff|
Tap into the essentials of the week ahead and re-live the highlights of the past week with Corona ATP Weekly Slice, as we serve up an executive summary of what every fan should know, along with a look at the best in social media.
Who’s Playing This Week?
Stanislas Wawrinka leads the list of players representing their countries in Davis Cup World Group first-round ties this weekend. The Swiss No. 1 – who moves up to a career-high No. 3 in the Emirates ATP Rankings after winning his first major at the 2014 Australian Open – joins his teammates on the road against Serbia. The Czech Republic, champions in 2013, begin their title defence against the Netherlands, playing on home soil with both Tomas Berdych and Radek Stepanek on the roster. Andy Murray (GBR), Richard Gasquet (FRA), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA), Milos Raonic (CAN), John Isner (USA) and Kei Nishikori (JPN) are also slated to compete.
Facebook | Twitter | Website
Stanislas Wawrinka 3 (+5 spots) - Career High
Grigor Dimitrov 19 (+ 3 spots) - Career High
Vasek Pospisil 25 (+5 spots) - Career High
Roberto Bautista Agut 52 (+10 spots) Stephane Robert 78 (+41 spots)
Damir Dzumhur 144 (+44 spots) - Career High
29 January – Daniel Munoz-De La Nava (32)
Player To Watch: Tomas Berdych
Tomas Berdych leads two-time defending Davis Cup champion Czech Republic in its first-round tie against the Netherlands. Berdych posted a 7-1 record in Davis Cup play last season, including 3-0 in doubles rubbers. At the 2014 Australian Open, Berdych reached the semi-finals, where he fell to eventual champion Stanislas Wawrinka in four sets.
WEEK IN REVIEW
@Martina (Martina Navratilova)
Congrats to Stan Wawrinka, first-time grand slam champion and his career best ranking at 3!!!! Well done Stanimal, you deserve it.
Most Popular Facebook Post on Facebook.com/ATPWorldTour
In Case You Missed It...
Stanislas Wawrinka vaults to a career-high No. 3 in the Emirates ATP Rankings after defeating top seed Rafael Nadal 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 in the 2014 Australian Open men's singles final on Sunday. Wawrinka is the first player to win a maiden Grand Slam title by beating a World No. 1 since Juan Martin del Potro at the 2009 US Open (d. Federer).
Wawrinka Wins First Major Title In Melbourne
How the AO Final Was Won
Wawrinka’s Crowning Glory
Nadal: “I Tried Everything”
ONE-TWO PUNCH: Stanislas Wawrinka's road to the 2014 Australian Open title makes him the first man to defeat the No. 1 and No. 2 ranked players at a Grand Slam since Sergi Bruguera at 1993 Roland Garros. It has previously happened five times in the Open Era:
|1983 Australian Open||Mats Wilander d. No. 2 John McEnroe (SF) and No. 1 Ivan Lendl (F)|
|1985 Roland Garros||Mats Wilander d. No. 1 John McEnroe (SF) and No. 2 Ivan Lendl (F)|
|1990 Wimbledon||Stefan Edberg d. No. 1 Ivan Lendl (SF) and No. 2 Boris Becker (F)|
|1991 Wimbledon||Michael Stich d. No. 1 Stefan Edberg (SF) and No. 2 Boris Becker (F)|
|1993 Roland Garros||Sergi Bruguera d. No. 1 Pete Sampras (QF) and No. 2 Jim Courier (F)|
|2014 Australian Open||Stanislas Wawrinka d. No. 2 Novak Djokovic (QF) and No. 1 Rafael Nadal (F)|
• Robert Lindstedt and Lukasz Kubot take their first major doubles crown with a 6-3, 6-3 victory against the unseeded team of Eric Butorac and Raven Klaasen. More...
• The 41-year-old Daniel Nestor and partner Kristina Mladenovic win the mixed doubles title over Sania Mirza and Horia Tecau. This is the second major title for the pair. More...
• Damir Dzumhur – the first player to represent Bosnia in the main draw of a major – reaches the Australian Open third round before falling to No. 7 seed Tomas Berdych. More...
• Grigor Dimitrov continues to set records, becoming the first Bulgarian man to reach a Grand Slam quarter-final with his defeat of Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut at the Australian Open. More...
• 14-time Grand Slam champion Pete Sampras makes a rare appearance in Melbourne and speaks to the press ahead of the men’s singles final between Nadal and Wawrinka. More...
• Serbian No. 2 Janko Tipsarevic and his wife, Biljana, announce the birth of their first child. More...
• Australian teenager Thanasi Kokkinakis reaches the second round of the Australian Open in his Grand Slam debut before losing to Rafael Nadal in the second round. Kokkinakis Q&A
Photo Gallery: Australian Open
Experience all the action on the ATP World Tour with your free fan credential, giving you access to newsletters, ticket alerts, results, and more.
Sign up here!
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Nadal Bids For Barcelona Defence; Dimitrov's First Time As Top Seed
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Clay Season Under Way With Houston, Casablanca
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Federer, Wawrinka, Murray Play Davis Cup
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: March In Miami
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Stars Align In Indian Wells
- Corona ATP Weekly Slice: Djokovic Set For Desert Duel In Dubai